C.G.T

Coops

I have been told that I will pay 16% CGT on the sale of my French property so long as I can prove that my husband and I are tax payers here in the U.K.

The case is that we are non tax payers as my husband is registered disabled and I am his carer.What written proof would we have to give of our status and does the disability issue have a bearing on the rate of CGT payable.Although my husband was already incapacitated when we bought the house we have made the journey out there so few times as it has  become too much for him.

I've never heard of taxable status anywhere being mentioned before. I thought that this was purely on residence secondaire status of the property and any  profit being made on it.

I can't see why the french authorities would care about your tax status in another country, do they? does someone know different?

What matters is not that you actually pay tax in the UK , but that you are fiscally resident in the UK. In other words if you did have more money, your prime residence is in the UK , so that is where you would pay tax. Looked at the other way what is important is that your main centre of economic interest is not France, hence you avoid the social charges levied on gains, aqnd that you are resident elsewhere in the EU and hence escape the higher rates charged on gains by non-EU citizens.

I have in the past, each year to prove to my French Bank that my prime residence is in the UK and that I am potentially liable for UK tax. For this purpose they accepted my last Council Tax bill and any fairly recent letter from the Inland Revenue. I would imagine this is possibly the proof required by the Notaire conducting your sale. Once he is convinced all should be clear as he is the government tax collector in these matters.

Bax

• 3 weeks later...