Advice please re getting best exchange rate £ to Euros

epinay

We have to send the deposit very soon and aren't sure how to get the best exchange rate - also the cheapest method of transferring funds these days.

We were lucky in the past exchanging Euros to £, but the rate has gone the other way now and any advice will be welcome.

Thanks in advance

Epinay

following advice on this forum, we transferred all our money for our house through Nationwide, as I had an account with them anyway. I can corroborate that a sum I transfered from Nat West cost me a lot more

We paid the deposit in October, and based on that exchange rate worked out how much we needed for the balance. I've just transfered the remainder, and because of the fluctuating exchange rate we saved £3,700! As ours is a cheap house by most people's standards it definately pays to shop around and transfer at the right time.

Usually the best exchange rate will be obtained through a currency exchange company, and they charge no transfer fee - so you are quids in! There are plenty of them advertising in the French Mags., but I am happy to recommend World Wide Currencies (ask for Dave Foster 0208 464 5888)

www.wwcurr.com

They are very helpful and all transactions by my clients have gone smoothly and to plan.

Good Luck!
Angie

I have had very good service from Currencies Direct with excellent exchange rates and efficient transfers.

For small amounts I use Moneybookers, sometimes good sometimes not, but I prefer not to rely on them for larger amounts due to their disclaimers in respect of funds above £1k, which basically say that if they go bust you could lose your money.

With the likes of Currencies Direct the funds are held in your own name (I hope!!)

Andy

I used Moneycorp, very helpful guy called Ricky Nelson, good rates, 1st class service.I bought my place June 2003. Phone number was 0207 808 0500. I also agree with comments above above re nationwide. I use them for cash withdrawals I believe they are the only one that does'nt make a charge for withdrawing cash. Also the exchange rate has been best! Good luck, where are you buying? Art

A slight change of direction within this topic.....

I have lived permanently in France now for 4 months. I have a Credit Agricole A/C, a UK bank account and a UK Building Soc. A/C. I have my pension paid into my Building Soc. and I am fortunate enough only to need to call down money to my French A/C about to or three times per year. However, I find the exchange rates and the transfer charges difficult to compare for value.

How do others manage?

RogerM

[quote]A slight change of direction within this topic.....I have lived permanently in France now for 4 months. I have a Credit Agricole A/C, a UK bank account and a UK Building Soc. A/C. I have my pension pa...[/quote]

" However, I find the exchange rates and the transfer charges difficult to compare for value."

So do we. We are in the same boat except that Building Societies like C&G are going to close accounts for non-UK residents in April. Maybe you have maintained a UK address and if so this should not affect you. My Govt pension comes over monthly in Euros and I am not too happy about the rate but have no choice as to which bank Capita use. Other monies from UK bank accounts/Building Societies etc are, like you, brought over once or twice a year using HIFX. Tried sending a Sterling cheque to CA but the rate was not that good though OK for small urgent amounts I guess..................John not Jackie  

Like you my former employer and pension payer (a local authority) would give me no flexibility on who carried out the transmission to France and they insisted on doing it monthly. This is why I keep two A/C's in England. I would prefer to use the Nationwide Building Soc. for everything but I am aware that they may close an A/C with a foreign address. If they do I shall use my son's address as they offer super services, are prompt and helpful. Their Internet Banking is the best I have found on the net.

I thought about writing myself a cheque in £ and paying it into CA. I accept that the rate may not be the best but it should avoid transfer charges.

RogerM

[quote]" However, I find the exchange rates and the transfer charges difficult to compare for value." So do we. We are in the same boat except that Building Societies like C&G are going to close account...[/quote]

Incidentally, as why the B.Soc. are concerned over foreign held A/C's is the accusation that they may be coniving at non declaration for tax purposes, there should not be a problem with a "....Govt. pension..." because these must be taxed in the UK. and cannot be taxed in France...or so I am told. Not yet had to complete a French Tax return.

RogerM

I must admit we make a trip to the local CA each day and withdraw money from our Nationwide flex then pay the cash in. No charges and the rates seem to be what we see on the teletext. Much better than I was being quoted by HIFX.

K

I would be tempted to ring Britline at CA and see if they charge to receive a Sterling cheque and what rate they would give bearing in mind the rate they quote today will not likely be the same rate as when the cheque is received, if that makes sense..............................John

Britline do charge to receive a Sterling cheque but not travellers cheques. ( See extract from the Britline web pages).

Compte Service Equilibre (per month)

5€

Eurocard Mastercard immediate debit card

34€ (second card 17€)

Commission on card payments not in Euros

1.95% + 0.10€

Handling fee - Cash withdrawals outside France

Distributer 0.60% + 1 €
Counter 0.60% + 5 €

Re-issuing confidential code (PIN) for card *

7.20€

Bank to bank national French transfer

3.70€

Express bank to bank national French transfer to Notaire

10.17€

Issuing a Bankers Draft (Chèque de Banque)