tva on renovations

MikeandSue

Can anyone help, I'm sure that I've seen somewhere that if you are renovating a property, you pay something like 4.5% tva.  Also, on one of these many house programmes that are presently aired, that it is possible to get a grant when renovating older properties to gites.  Am I mistaken?

Can anyone help, I'm sure that I've seen somewhere that if you are renovating a property, you pay something like 4.5% tva.  Also, on one of these many house programmes that are presently aired, that it is possible to get a grant when renovating older properties to gites.  Am I mistaken?

The lower TVA rate for renovation works is 5.5% subject to certain criteria, and scope of works. Otherwise it is 19.6%. This rate has been extended to at least the end of 2005, but with the help of our local CAPEB, we hope to see it extended into 2006. The property must be at least two years old, and be a private residence dwelling. Your builder should provide you with anb attestation to sign for the lower rate. There are certain items that the lower rate does not apply to and a ful explanation can be found here. http://www.batitel.com/revues/tva.php

Grants are available in most areas, but it is a very regional thing and varies by department. Most grants are for energy conservation projects or improvements, although some are also for improving façades or creating tourism. They are quite beauracratic to obtain and are not exactly generous.

Paul