taxes and charges

ajuk

I hope this is the correct area to start this question.

I have just received a request to pay for "redevance audiovisuelle" - we are new to this game and we do not live in France for more than 8 weeks a year (mores the pity) - could someone advise if you do not use the television to receive french televison whether you have to pay because an aerial is on the roof of the house even we have disconnected it inside? 

This then prompted me to question the other taxes and charges being applied for a maison secondaire - we get the following - and I have been told that in some areas second home owners do not have to pay all - could someone help?

>Taxe D'Habitation ?? (some houses are being sold stating no habitation tax due plus I am aware of some who have not received bills to my knowledge)

>Taxes Foncieres

>Redevance dechets menagers et assimiles - 41,22 euros x3 pewr year approx - (this seems high considering the bins are only collected every other week for the most part of the year - and it always seems when we are not in reseidence and also the dechetterie will only accept 3 trailer loads of DIY recycling per week if we do go there)

It may well be correct but any advice would be useful - thanks

As of 1 January, you are presumed to own a television unles you can prove otherwise. The French Government don't give a stuff if it works, plays only vidoes...and with an aeriel on ht e roof you could have fun with this. I'd pay it if I was you!

Hi, so can anyone confirm whether it is correct then that there is no television licence per se in france and that the tv fees will be collected through the taxe d'habitation.  If this is the case, presumably it doesn't matter if we purchase a tv in England and take it to france with us as televisions seem to be quite expensive in france.

[quote]I hope this is the correct area to start this question. I have just received a request to pay for "redevance audiovisuelle" - we are new to this game and we do not live in France for more than 8 week...[/quote]

You have to pay for all three taxes. Tax d'habitation is for the person who is the occupant on 1st Jan each year and is payable in September of that year,Hence the reason that people who buy during the year dont pay till the following year

Tax fonciere payable by house owners usually when you buy you pay your portion of the tax for that year

Tax for rubbish collection payable by householder whether you use it or not and whether you are in residence or not

Finally from this year the TV licence is incorporated into the tax d'habitation and you have to declare that you dont have a TV set