Banque ~Un - populaire

Polremy

Call me mean but i dont like paying for things i dont need or want. Consequently we dont have a carte bleue or even a "hole in the wall" card (for which they charge a fee) for our account with the Banque Populaire. Each month we withdraw euros from our Nationwide Flexaccount and deposit enough to cover standing orders, phone bills and so on. The system seemed to be working well.

We did get the odd phone call from B.P. trying to persuade us to have these cards. They also wanted to know why our pensions aren't paid into their account each month. Got round that one by saying that we are waiting for England to go over to the euro! They grumbled a bit about how were they supposed to make any money out of us but we seemed to get away with it.

Until today that is!!!

I sent the other half into the bank to improve his french. All he wanted to do was deposit 200euros cash into our current account. He was harrassed by the woman at a newly installed "welcome" desk. She told him he couldn't deposit money without a carte bleue. Eventually she relented and said "oh very well, just this once" - or French words to that effect.

Has anyone out there had similar experiences? Surely you dont need a credit card or even a debit card to just hand over your cash! Or do we have to cave in cough up? Can't remember how much it costs now - maybe i'm making a big fuss over a few cents.

Someone out there must have some advice - before I need to top up the account next month.

Thanks. Jean.

I have had problems with most french banks. And I must say that it all started rather well with the BP. They took our mortgage over at a reduced rate of interest and I was quite happy with them. Then a few things happened, niggly things and I was less satisfied. And then I started to transfer money back to the UK. What a mess it was. They were charging me a fortune in spite of me checking their tarifs beforehand.

In the end after me complaining so much and leaving a euro in the account, they closed it. And I am glad we are no longer with them in any shape or form.

Our Banque Populaire is regional. Used to be something like Alpes du Sud and is now des Alpes. These people who deal with foreigners are not necessarily working for all the regional Banque Populaire's. They couldn't have helped me that is for sure. The local manager could have helped, but didn't and lost a customer.

This is a problem in France and with their banking. It's done at regional level and often differ's from one region to another. We are with Bank P and do not pay for our normal card which does not work in petrol stations, abroad and on the toll roads but it does in the shops and to get money out the hole in the wall. We have Visa cards which we pay for (25€pa) and do the same as UK bank cards and work anywhere, we are happy with this.

Our bank here in Quillan have 3 staff who speak English. To put money in we just go in hand the money over and tell them what account to put the money in but then they know us. Perhaps in improving your husbands French he got a bit mixed up? They gave us a card, same size as a credit card, with our account numbers on. When we get a new girl behind the counter she will ask for this card for the account number. So I am wondering if this is the card they were asking your hubby for.

I have to say I am as happy as one can be in France with my French Bank. I think the probem is is that that operate differently to UK banks and for some of us because of this we feel they are no good. How many times have I stood behind some Brits in the queue only to hear them say "well they don't do it like that in the UK". Well they are in France now and thats how it's done here, if they want it done the UK way they can always go back.

Chris

"well they don't do it like that in the UK".

I have a brit neighbour in my village who has had a house here for 15 years although he has only been here 2 years permanently, and I would think I hear this comment at least once a week, it drives me crazy!

If it's not builders it's banks, restaurants, and of course the French think of nothing else but their next meal and what they are going to have down to the last lettuce leaf.

And as for the maire who is always drunk and never does anything for him......

I say to him that as everything in the UK is perfect, how can France possibly compete. He never seems to quite see that though!