French income tax

Johnj

I've no doubt this has been asked and answered before, but I have searched and could not find, so, can anyone please tell me how much you can earn prior to paying French income tax, and is there a difference in the limit between earned and unearned income, and finally what are the present income tax rates 

Thanks in advance

Income Tax Bands for 2005

Income Percentage
Up to €4,334 0
From €4,334 to €8,524 6.83
From €8,524 to €15,00419.14
From €15,004 to €24,29428.26
From €24,294 to €39,52937.38
From €39,529 to €48,747

Over €48,747 48.09

The taxable unit is the household. The figures above are for each "part", i.e. a single person is one part, a married couple is two parts, if there are any children the first two have 0.5 of a part each, any further children one part. For example, a family with three children will add up to four parts. The total household income is split across those four parts, each of which is separately taxed according to the bands in the chart above, the sum of these being added together to result in the amount of tax payable.

See: www.impots.gouv.fr

Jo

Johnj

I'll stick with what I said and look at the impot site and do a simulation.

If you are simply earning a salary and nothing else, then you can earn 'imposable' just over 6000 euros, (sorry I had done a rough calculation in my head when I posted last so I had understated slightly) and not have to pay tax. Also you may get the odd thing on top of this that is not imposable. It can happen in France.

Not everyone's revenue is 'simple'. And there is a page and half of options depending on the many things that can make up a revenue/deficit before you even get to these figures quoted to work from them.

And even when you have done this, there is another page and a half of things that can apply, maybe not to yourself but must obviously apply to some people. The good thing is that most of this last page and a half are deductions.

Which means that you could end up after the inital taxable calculation in having a tax bill which could end up being 'O' at the end. Depends.

EDIT

Sorry I had forgotten about you mentioning being married.  So no it doesn't necessarily double the amount you can earn, if you are both working you will both get those initial allowances so could earn more than that.

I agree with teamed up, a simulation is safer, or buy one of the many magazines with all the details and tables in such as "vos impots". There are all sorts of allowances and deductions that are completely unlikely the UK and quite widely used (such as an up to 30% reduction on declared income if you are a regular employee...).

This is sanjeev and I am working in France from last 3

months .My Current Salary for Annum

in France is 70000 Euros.

I have few Queries on Tax rules in france and Social securiity.

1.Approximately how much i need to pay as TAX to France (My wife is

not

Working)

2. What is the Social Secuirity amount i need to pay.(is there

anyway

get this money back).

As i don't know french..iwas not able to work in Impots site..Can you please calculate for year and let me know..

Awaiting from anyone in this forum ..

THANKS A LOT.

One way or another you should have sorted out your social security already.

If you work for a company then they will be doing it and it will be debited from your salary.

If you work for yourself you should be registered with the Chambers des Metier or Aritisans or as a Profession Liberale. You should go to at least the Chambres des Metiers and they should direct you as to whom you should be seeing about this and you need to do this immediately and maybe see an accountant too.

Non, we don't get any of our social security payments back. We pay into the system for our social cover.

Income tax, I can't work it out for you. You may have things to declare that we know nothing of.  Some posters have said that the impot site has an english section or you could ask an accountant. You could go and see the tax inspectors and ask how much to budget for. You will have to get your own tax declaration next March from either your Mairie or Hotel des Impots. And on that you will declare your income from the date you came to France this year. The tax year is from 1st of Jan until the 31st of Dec.

Hi,

Thaks you very very much for your answer.

I am working france but paying by an indian company ..Indian Company confirmed that they started processuig of Social secuirity which i have to pay 21 percent of my income.That means i need to pay 14OO Euros for Month.

After this ..

About income tax Can you Please give me a brief idea(its just for info) ..But this info i will use to save that money with me.

Anyway i will consult one of the tax consultant in next january.

Please understand and give me a tentative amount i need to pay tax for year.

Can you please tell me the link to the english impots simmulator site..

Note: i don't have any other income ..other than salary per annum 70000 euros

Thank you very very much again..awaiting for your early response..

Regards,

sanjeev

Paris

[quote]This is sanjeev and I am working in France from last 3months .My Current Salary for Annum in France is 70000 Euros. I have few Queries on Tax rules in france and Social securiity. 1.Approximate...[/quote]

Sanjeev, if I was earning €70,000 per annum, i wouldn't be too worried about how much tax I would pay

Sanjeev

Is your wife with you? If so.. work on taking home between 3800 and 4400 euros a month.

A few other details?

- Are you working for a French company? IT I take it. Would like to know which company as well (Naturally nosey since I am in a simmillar situation and field)

- What are your specializations?

- Are you recieving a salary in India as well? Typically true for deputation. This would complicate your taxes...