Haggling down a price

A lot of French artisans apparently aren't interested in doing work for British customers, having found that they are more trouble than they are worth, wanting everything done to Rolls-Royce standards on the cheap then complaining about the work and being very difficult to get payment out of. So in areas with a lot of the less acceptable type of British immigrant it is not surprising that there may be such 'dual pricing'. In some other areas the perception is that the British are all rich. However I think it is equally likely that neighbours etc have not had any work done for some time, because costs, and hence prices, have gone up considerably in the last few years, and a French custmer would probably be quoted the same.

Surely if you think jobs are overpriced, you can (nicely) ask the tradesmen for their recommendations as to how they might be able to do it more economically.

Some of the postings in this topic merely underline the reasons why the British in France have such a reputation as cheapskates.

From my experience the cost of 'artisans' is very high, but they do a very good job, My French friend has recently had his house painted - a modern rectangle with garage in basement. To have this painted cost 11,000 Euro, I was amazed as the shutters etc were not done as they were in great condition, but he was happy and the job was spot on. It's a strange and expensive world!

I think cheapskates may be a bit harsh.

A tiler's apprentice had done some work for us, his boss at that time was unaware that we were from the UK. We had an excellent job done at a fair price.

Boss turns up to check apprentice's work and we asked for a further quote for some more work as we were really pleased with the work done and the price paid - he took one look at the house( having never been to the site before) clocked we were British and we could see the £ or rather euro signs rolling in his eyes- the subsequent quote was extortionate compared to the others and we reluctantly went elsewhere.

Cheapskates no and mugs definitely not!

O.K,

As much as I love a deal/bargain/discount...

There is no way on earth I would ever deviate from my hourly rate if asked by a client.

I don't want to set a precedent and I also haven't budgeted for any remise/escompte in my pricing.

All the best books and advice tell me not to sell on price but on quality and to get your pricing right in advance.

Crazy though, the number of clients who think I pocket all the money for myself and so believe I live like a Gypsy King.