tax declaration ....still no response from the bureau d'impots?

We completed our declaration of income from renting out our second home in February but have not heard a word from the French tax office.  We had hoped to have the information before we send off our UK tax return (before 30th Sept).  We contacted the French tax office in July and they assured us that we would hear shortly.  However up to now, despite numerous telephone calls where the line rings and rings then goes dead and emailing, we haven't had any response.

Has anyone else heard back yet or is it just us?

The income tax advices for 2004 telling you what you had to pay were sent out at the end of July for payment by 15 september.

Best thing to do is ask them what address they have for you.  You don'i say if you are resident here or not, but I would check with any addresses that the Impots may have for you,  Normally, the bill is sent to the address on the form, but they are notoriously slow at updating their records.

[quote]Ours came a few weeks ago, and I've just set up the payment facility for it to be debited in 3 lots. Did you send your paperwork to Paris non-resident dept? (I'm assuming that you are UK resident). ...[/quote]

"Did you send your paperwork to Paris non-resident dept"??

If you are a resident in the UK don't you have to send your papers to Non residents in Nottingham first for approval and they send them to Paris?

If you live in France, the UK double taxation forms suggest that you should send the double taxation papers to Paris, but if you do send them off to Paris,  you will just get them back again

They have to be taken to, and stamped by your local French tax office before THEY send them to Paris, they do this after you have completed your French tax return, that way they know that you have declared the same income in France as you are claiming back from the UK.

Well clearly we are not going to be able to have the required information in time for 30th Sept as we have now finally received a response to our email from the French tax office (Non-resident dept) to say that they never received our declaration.

Mind you - we did not send it to Nottingham first, nor did we have it stamped by the 'local' tax office.  We are indeed resident in the UK and this is the first we have heard about this requirement.

Has anyone else sent theirs directly tp Paris with no problems as we are going to have to start from the beginning again? 

It would have helped to have known that you are not resident in France in the first place:  It makes a lot of difference to the process to be followed.  Paris is an admin centre like Nottingham, they would not have any record of you and as you live in the UK, why should they?

As you are not resident In France, it seems to me that you are dealing with the wrong tax offices in the wrong countries and in the wrong order.  You should approach your OWN  tax office in the UK first, they will advise you of the process for paying your French rental income to the French tax people and how to ensure that you do not get taxed on the  income in the UK as well as France. 

You sound a bit tetchy Ron! I am sorry if I didn't make it clear- I thought it was as I mentioned our maison secondaire and needing to do a UK tax return but I suppose that could apply if we were resident in France.  My only defence is that it was at 4 am and even though I could not sleep I was tired!

Our understanding is that we need to do a tax declaration to the French authorities first to the end of 2004.  They tell us what we owe. We also have to declare our income to the UK tax authorities and they will charge tax at our marginal rate less any tax already paid to the authorities in France.

Am I wrong anyone?  

No not tetchy at all, that is what a is for.  I did wonder if you were UK residents at the start, but I thought that as you had gone straight to Paris with your paper work, as I did at first, you must be in France.  Your understanding is correct, so contact your UK tax office to get the double taxation process under way or you will end up paying tax both in France and in the UK on the same income.