Tax fonciere exemption

Nickndrachael

Having purchased a new build house last year, we were under the impression that we would be exempt from tax fonciere for 2 years.

Having now received a large tax fonciere bill that we weren't expecting can anyone clarify what the rules are?  It appears that we have been exempted from the district and regional part of the tax fonciere bill but not the communal part.

They are for new builds and I think it has been mentioned when properties have been completely renovated, bills such as these get sent out to, an archive search may show that in case I have misremembered. We have only ever done a new build and that is what I know about.

A bill arrives and it is a big bill and quite unexpected in our case. If I had asked the notaire and the builder and the bank EXACTLY what I had to budget for  once, I had asked a hundred times and never a mention of this.

They are sort of one off payments though. I think we had one soon after we moved in and another a year or so later and that was that. A long time ago for us, but I am pretty sure it is more or less the same these days.

We did a new build starting 2 years ago and got a whopping and totally unexpected tax bill - in the region of £4000! Why does no one warn you about this when you think you've asked all the relevant questions?? We were able to pay it in 2 stages, 12 months apart, but it didn't make it any easier to find the money, when at the time we were still trying to finance the remainder of the build.  I'm relieved to hear this is a one off - I was dreading one of these arriving regularly, and ending up having to sell the house just to pay the tax bill! 

We have had a bill for tax fonciere this year, but we were only billed for the rubbish collection so it wasn't too bad.

Marie