Another tax question, sorry

Dotty0

My family and I bought our house in May this year and moved in in July.  We have children at the local school, so therefore pay the Tresury dept for the school meals (which I hasten to add are very good value and sound very tasty) we also pay a bill for the refuse collection, May-Dec 133.00 Euros.  However, we have not received a Fonciere or habitation tax bill (excuse my spelling).  Our house had been empty for 5 years prior to us buying it and then the previous owners were in the maison retratit (old folks home).  I have heard you do not get a bill until after 1 years residence in your property.  Can anyone shed any light on this?

I have posted this on another thread, sorry for the duplicate.

Regards

Dotty dept 79

The person who owns the property on the 1st January, will get the bills for both Habitation and Fronciere which are both payable in the last 3 months of the Year.So Dotty you will not get a bill sent to you until the later part of 2006. The habitation tax is always the responsibility of the previous owner, however, the  Tax Foncière can  be apportioned between yourself and the old  owners based on the number of days in 2005 that you owned the property. This is usually dealt with by the Notaire when you signed the papers and should have been stated in the contract. So do not be surprised if you get a Tax Foncière bill from the notaire to pay your proportion.

Baz