FRENCH TAXATION

johnp

My wife and I are moving from England to France shortly. Please can anyone tell us if we can buy a book that tells us how to complete the French Tax Return and if we can obtain a translated version of the French Tax Return? We have a telephone number for an English speaking Social Security helpline in France. Is their a telephone number for an English Speaking French Tax Helpline in France

We receive two pensions, One State Pension and one Civil Service pension. We also receive a little income from Share Dividends and Savings Interest mainly from the UK. A little bank Interest from our French Bank Account.

We understand that the rental Income from our Property in the UK and Civil service pension has to be declared on our IR Self Assessment Return but the two private pensions must be declared on the French Return and are subject to French Taxation as are our UK Dividend and Bank Interest receipts. We also pay towards a Stakeholder pension and presume that we declare this on the UK Return only. Has anyone any experience in filling in the French Tax Returns?    

The answer to your questions about French tax returns, helplines etc can all be encompassed in one simple word - no. The big problem, one which is a headache for accountants in France, is that the tax form changes from year to year, although most of the boxes keep the same references, and are not issued until just a few weeks before they have to be submitted. So not even now, in the first few weeks of 2006, does anybody officially know what the 2005 tax form looks like.

There is some help at hand, PKF International of Guernsey produces an annual book, by C Parkinson, about income tax in France - it is available from Living France / France Magazine book shop or direct from www.pkfguernsey.com. Although, by definition, it is always at least a year out of date, you will find that in practice the basics change very little.

The other hopefully helpful suggestion is that most French tax offices are very obliging and will explain how to fill in the form and how to deal with various income and expenditure, and, if you manage to go away from the busiest times, they are more than happy to deal with people whose French is less than perfect. If you think your affairs are too complicated to rely on this advice, then there are plenty of bilingual accountants and financial consultants who will help. Several advertise regularly in Living France etc.

There is a firm which advertises in Connexions. They offer advice on tax matters and finance in general for expats. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to mention their name but here is a clue: Sixxxlls. If anyone has experience of using them could they please say how happy they were with the service and give some indication of the cost. Thank you.

Patrick

The same company advertises in Living France. Sorry to sound negative, but that company, and others in a similar line of business, are only interested in advising you if you have a large amount to invest, and the company can make a good commission. When we spoke to them, charges varied according to how much commission is likely to be received. If you are wealthy, I think they can be very good for you, but less interested in day-to-day affairs or business set-ups.

Far better to talk to a bilingual France-based financial consultant or accountant. Some advertise in Living France etc. As an example, the accountancy firm we use (based near Rennes but has clients all over France) charges from 250€ per annum (including TVA) for advising on personal tax, including filing the return. Smaller outfits will no doubt be cheaper, while if you have a business it will cost more (our accountant charges 750€ per annum for a micro business for example).

Thanks for your response. I'm not entirely surprised at what you say. There are other companies who advertise and make it abundantly clear that they are only interested in the seriously wealthy, which we are decidedly not!

Patrick

I have seen something that the original questioner might be interested in. If you go to p65 of the New Year 2006 edition of Living France you will find an advertisement for an online service that offers help, in English, with Fre,ch tax forms, including 'special tax forms drafted in English'.

As I had never heard of the service before, I cannot comment on it, so please do not take this as a recommendation or otherwise.

As far as I am aware you have to purchase the print edition. I didn't know there was an online edition, other than a summary of some articles plus general information, book sales etc at the web site.

I shall probably get abuse from the publishers for telling you this, as they provide this forum in order to help publicise and sell the magazine, but the link to the advertiser concerned is www.frenchtaxonline.com.

[quote user="Will the Conqueror"]

I shall probably get abuse from the publishers for telling you this,

as they provide this forum in order to help publicise and

sell the magazine, but the link to the advertiser concerned is www.frenchtaxonline.com.

[/quote]

Oh, I do hope not. [:$]

As far as I can see, at a quick glance, the site is really just for

those who can't cope with the forms in French (as opposed to

"bureaucratese" [;)]) but I did spot something very useful there - a

rough and ready tax calculator which I think is very useful for

planning purposes.

So, thanks very much for the link.