New UK/France tax treaty

mascamps.com

From reading these quickly, it appears that currently French levied CGT is not included in the agreement, but will in the future one.

Since very few French nationals have a residence secondaire in the UK it seems to me that France will be losing out here, which might account for the delay.

Also, as I currently understand it, French CGT is levied at 16%, but in the UK it is 30%? So if you get to be charged in the UK for selling your French house, you will be far worse off.

But then, I might have completely misunderstood the whole thing.

True re the level of French CGT. However, the big difference is that if you are selling your home in France and moving to the UK (as friends of ours are doing), then if the new tax treaty (or, more importantly, the CGT aspect of it) was in force at the time, then they would have nothing to pay (because it is their principal residence) vs 16% in France.

Interestingly, it would also possible for them to subsequently sell their UK house (which they kept but rented out) also without CGT as UK law allows you to work abroad and retain your UK home, essentially as your second "principal residence" in terms of CGT.

Arnold

[quote user="Brilec"]

Also, as I currently understand it, French CGT is levied at 16%, but in the UK it is 30%? So if you get to be charged in the UK for selling your French house, you will be far worse off.

[/quote]

The UK does not have a CGT rate of  30%. The rate of  UK CGT you will have to pay depends on the level of your income liable to income tax. The 3 band rates are 10%, 20% and 40% and of course you have your annual allowance, indexation and possible tapered relief to set against the gains. So CGT in the UK for selling your French house could well be nil especially if the property was in joint names as each individual has an annual allowance.

Baz

Not sure how they own the house but I think it's safe to say that if tax is potentially payable, it'll be 100k or more, hence the interest in potentially getting it under the new tax treaty.

Indexation doesn't apply any more, or at least not to things bought more than a few years ago (pre 1998? not sure of the year).

Arnold