tax when living and working in the UK with salary from France

bacillus

Hello all,

Have a weird situtation. I have been working at the university in the UK

as a research associate for 4 years. Now my current funding from the university

is finished but they would like to keep me and I would like to stay as well.

So we found the following solution: we have many common projects with French

university so I got a contract with this french university and will be paid in France.

But I will still have a contract with my UK university (but without money) and will be

working and living in the same place in the UK.

However, the problem is that where and how do I declare and pay tax now?

Would be very happy for any suggestions about this situation!

• 1 month later...

If you are still living in the UK, then you will still be UK resident and therefore need to pay tax there.

However, I suspect that the French university will deduct French tax from you anyway. If they do, this is declared on your UK tax return (you will need to ask for one if you don't normally get one). The UK give you a credit for any French tax paid (through the bilateral tax treaty) so you won't pay any more UK tax than you'd be due to pay anyway.

One problem that you may encounter if the French university start deducting tax from you is that you'd then get demands for payment of health insurance, etc. from the French authorities. The health insurance definitely wouldn't be payable though you'd need to write them a letter informing them of this (tell them that you are covered already in the UK and send a photocopy of your NHS card). The pension scheme might be payable although one way around this is to tell them that you are continuing to pay into the UK university scheme (they will want statements as proof of this). Not sure what the situation would be re social security contributions.

Having a contract with the UK university isn't relevant as they're not paying you.

Arnold

I don't agree with Arnold.  Income tax is not deductable at source

here, and there is no obligation to have health insurance and it has

nothing to do with the authorities.  I myself don't have health

insurance right now, and that is entirely my choice.  You might

have some problems with social security payments as they are deducted

at source, but I am sure there is a way round it as many people have

contracts in France and live on the other side of the boader, in

Belgium, Luxemberg etc

I think that you do have to have health insurance if you're living in France. Certainly all the documents that we received initially, stated "obligatoire". However, how you provide that does depend on your situation: as self-employed I have to pay, unemployed wouldn't (I think) but employed would (to CPAM).

If you were employed in France but living in the UK then the UK would cover the "obligatoire" element as is the case with people retiring to France.

Social security is only deducted at source if you're employed. Some university contracts equate to self-employed and in that case, a bill would arrive in due course. Whether it would be payable or not, I don't know.

Arnold

As a PS: I wouldn't really worry about getting professional advice per se as the appropriate forms will drop through your letterbox in due course.

At that point, or indeed before, you could call into the local UK social security office and tax office and ask them what you should do. This has the big plus point that they won't charge for giving you the information.

Arnold

I think we must be at cross purposes.  [*-)] As you mentioned

both social security and health insurance, I assumed by the latter you

meant a mutuel, as I did when I wrote it is not obligatory. 

Obviously there are different persepectives, I see it from my point of

view of as employee, whereas you have your own business, so it is not

quite the same.

Ah, of course. Yes, the mutuel wouldn't be obligatory and isn't in France either.

I suspect that the 70% "obligatory" insurance isn't quite so obligatory either for that matter. Certainly there are ways out of the "obligatory" pension schemes if you've planned ahead before your move to France, though I did find that they were quite persistent even though I was quoting the appropriate laws to them at the time.

Arnold

Tourangelle, one can be taxed at source in France under certain conditions. My friend works in the pay office at the company my husband works for and they sometimes have people who continue to be paid from this company, even when they are doing work overseas, the UK being one of the countries where people have been sent.  In her job she debits an amount of tax, sorry no idea as to how this is calculated and by whom and she doesn't either, she is simply told what to do and it is then deducted from the pay. AS are SS contributions.