2006 rulings for taxe d'habitation and taxe foncière

Clair

The 2006 rules for exemption of these taxes have just been published.

Foremost, the 2005 income must not exceed €7417 for the first full "part". This ceiling is increased by €1981 for each "½ part" and by €991 for each "¼ part".

To be exempt of the taxe d'habitation

• on Jan 1st 2006, the claimant must either

1. be over 60 years old and not subject to ISF
  2. or be widowed and not subject to ISF
  3. or be in receipt of AAH (Disability allowance)
  4. or be disabled and unable to support himself through work.

To be exempt of the taxe foncière sur les propriétés bâties

• on Jan 1st 2006, the claimant must either
  1. be over 75 years old
  2. or or be in receipt of AAH (Disability allowance)

The text in French is to be found here:

http://www.service-public.fr/accueil/impots_locaux_exoneration06.html

Hi Clair,

I'm glad you've started this thread as I have been trying to find out if we could be exempt from the taxe d'habitation.  I have been through the small print on the forms and understood about the age exemptions but  am still a little confused as to whether we have to pay in full, in particular the taxe d'habitation.

Before I ask my questions though, and perhaps I'm being a bit dumb but what do you mean by full  "part" and "½ part" etc?

Anyway, my questions...

1. Both the taxe d'habitation and taxe foncieres forms have been addressed to me as the house was purchased solely in my name.  I am 41 yrs old and my husband is 61. Does this mean that we're not entitled to be exempt because the forms are addressed to me and not my husband?

2.  Our income for 2005/ Impot declaration will not exceed the €7417.  Are the taxe d'habitation etc calculated automatically from the Impot declaration or, if we are entitled to a rebate/discount do we have to apply seperately for this?

3.  I don't suppose there's any chance of getting a refund for any past overpayments (due to ingnorance)?

Hope you don't mind me putting these questions on your thread and that you or somebody else may be able to answer my queries.

Jules

"Our income for 2005/ Impot declaration will not exceed the €7417"

Sorry Jules, but just how do two of you manage to survive and run your house and a gite and get two others ready for renting on gross income less than 7400€?

If you are asset rich and income poor,  you will need to show the tax people just how poor you really are.  You may need to be prepared for an interesting visit from Les Impots when they come to assess your fonciere and habitation on your house and 3 gites if you claim a rebate!

Hi Ron,

Thanks for your reply.  Hopefully we're not doing anything untoward but perhaps if I explain our situation it'll put your mind at rest that we can manage.

For 2005 our only income was 2 small pensions of my husbands that came below the €7417, all other monies we have are assets from the sale of our house in the UK over 2 years ago but obviously it's dwindling.  We have 1 gite ready for rental this year (2006) but this is not to be declared until next year (2007). I've calculated that we have enough money/assets to live on and to complete the 2nd gite.  Hopefully by this time the gite income will top-up enough for us to live on.  Realistically the 3rd gite is not viable in the immediate future!

With regard to the impot declaration I have to admit to being a little confused.  I've asked a friend (who's very familiar with the French tax system) to help me complete this years (when it arrives, I believe in May) as last year I completed it incorrect even though the man at the office helped me do it, and at the risk of upsetting some people we've just been accepted for CMU with no cotisations to pay.  Again a person at the CPAM helped me complete the form but got it completely wrong - he calculated our 'total assets and income' instead of 'interest only and income'.  I'm probably being a bit too open here but I've really got nothing to hide

Anyway, going back to my original question about the taxe d'habitation... any financial rebate's that we can get (and legally entitled to) will help ease the strain.  I'm not after scrounging off the French state, we really do want to be self sufficient financially.  Ingnorance of the facts has meant in the past we've paid out more than I'm sure we've needed to.  Also, next week I intend to go to the the Assidic to register for any potential employment (now that my french is getting a little better) and so hopefully a job here for me will also 'ease the strain'.

Take care for now.

Jules