Transfering money back to the UK?

Hutchiesinfrance

Hi all, unfortunately we are on the move the other way - back to the big island.....Confused [*-)]  has anyone had experience of transfering funds back to the UK? Could it be done at the point of sale of the house or does it have to go through our french euro bank account?  would it be better using a currency dealer such as HIFX (i think thats the name) or would it be better to open a euro account at a high street bank in the UK and pay a cheque in euros when we return to the UK and transfer into sterling at the bank.

thanks for your help in advance.

I have just transferred a sizeable chunk from my French bank account to UK (after managing to cancel a lost-in-the-post cheque).  Easy and quick!  and done from Japan!  I faxed a letter to the bank requesting them to  send XX euros to the fx currency brokers and faxed the currency brokers asking them to remit the funds on arrival to my UK bank.  It was all done in 4 days.  Just check on your French bank:s web site that they accept faxed orders.  I got a friend to pop in the bank to see if it would be OK first.

Some of the countryside banks have got into the 21st century!

Good luck

Coral - nearly in Ariege -- nearly!

[quote user="Coral"]

I have just transferred a sizeable chunk from my French bank account to UK (after managing to cancel a lost-in-the-post cheque).  Easy and quick!  and done from Japan!  I faxed a letter to the bank requesting them to  send XX euros to the fx currency brokers and faxed the currency brokers asking them to remit the funds on arrival to my UK bank.  It was all done in 4 days.  Just check on your French bank:s web site that they accept faxed orders.  I got a friend to pop in the bank to see if it would be OK first.

Some of the countryside banks have got into the 21st century!

Good luck

Coral - nearly in Ariege -- nearly![/quote]

I suspect you have to have agreed to a fax idemnity - I know we haven't in the UK,(because of advice I saw here) is it different for French banks ?