best bank interest-uk or france?

chirpy

What is best rate of interest with internet account( non cheque book account) for a resident in France who is paying their tax now all in France for £15000 savings?

This will be reducing a little each month to pay for the unexpected bills .

I have read that getting a high interest  uk bank account is now not possible when you have no uk address and are classed as resident in France.

As the tax rates are so different betweeen the two countries then their  may be little difference  in the net interest after tax for a married retired couple .

thanks for any advice.

Have you considered an offshore account?

Alliance & Leicester offer upto 4.95% on £10,000+, or 2.65% for 5000 euros +. Has anyone found better than this?

http://www.alliance-leicester.co.im/Default.aspx?bhcp=1

This is paid tax free, but you will of course have to declare it on your french tax return.

As for accounts in France, I have no idea who gives the best rates! ING maybe??

Richard

If you are after bank interest paid gross have a look at ICICI bank on the internet they are currently paying 5.15 percent wtith very easy access to your money, only string is that the account has to be linked to a UK bank account.

Cheers

Billy

[quote user="Fay"]Caisse d'Epargne savings account (Livret A) is also 2.75% and you can bank online (but I imagine have to open the account at a bank).[/quote]

No, the Livret A pays 2.25%, there is a Livret d'Epargne Populaire which pays 3.25% but you can only have this if your income tax bill is less than 709€ for the year.