Renting/leasing a vehicle

I'm not sure where the starting point for your journey is but you may find that bringing your own car with you works out cheapest.

I think the larger companies, located at the airports etc, have year round business and their willingness to strike a deal is tempered by that. A friend wanted to hire a 7 seater for 9 weeks over the summer and was quoted almost E 3,000, a smaller 5 seater was still close to E 1,800. Maybe a localised rental firm might work out better, particularly if it's out of high season.

Failing that, buy one to suit your pocket and that you can take a possible financial hit on when you decide to sell on after your trip is over.

You may want to check out the long term  leasing options through Peugeot, Citroen or Renault. You get a brand new car with roadside assist and over the long term works out to be quite cheap. Not sure if they do a full six month lease, but worth finding out.

[quote user="tigersharkjs"]I would not even contemplate trying to buy a vehicle upon arrival.[/quote]Why not ?

If you have an address in France then there should be no problem doing this. You might even be able to strike a deal with a garage to take it back at the end of your trip for an agreed sum. This will almost certainly be the most cost effective option for you.

[quote user="ErnieY"][quote user="tigersharkjs"]I would not even contemplate trying to buy a vehicle upon arrival.[/quote]Why not ?

If you have an address in France then there should be no problem doing this. You might even be able to strike a deal with a garage to take it back at the end of your trip for an agreed sum. This will almost certainly be the most cost effective option for you.

[/quote]

Several years ago now there used to be a road in North London (Market Road, Islington?) where there were camper cars parked up and ready for sale. This was well known to Aussies and Kiwis who used to come over and buy one and then tour Europe for six months or so.

The major part of the sales pitch was to buy one and then be able to take it back at the end of the tour. This way the guy who owned them sold the same vehicles many times over and made some money each trade.

I don't know if anyone from that area has recent experience of this or even if the same guy or his successor is still there.

A friend used SIXT when he needed a car for 6 months or so and didn't want to buy one. Have a look here for 'Location Longue durée'

http://www.sixt.fr/location-longue-duree/produits/lld-full-service/

There are various options and I'm sure you could do a deal if you contacted them

Usual disclaimer, I have no connection with this company, just passing on a reccomendation

Hi :  Thanks everyone!! I am becoming overwhelmed with the idea of moving. Thanks for your ideas and possible solutions.  I need to read more of you brave people's experiences at moving.  We are retired, I am a native speaker of French..why am I freaking out and panicking??? 

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]

A friend used SIXT when he needed a car for 6 months or so and didn't want to buy one. Have a look here for 'Location Longue durée'

http://www.sixt.fr/location-longue-duree/produits/lld-full-service/

There are various options and I'm sure you could do a deal if you contacted them

Usual disclaimer, I have no connection with this company, just passing on a reccomendation

[/quote]

WOW!! I just had a look here..this place is almost HALF th price of every other site I've checked!! I'm beginning to think our 6 month visit may actually be doable.  Again, thanks to everyone who has responded.

[quote user="tigersharkjs"]Hi :  Thanks everyone!! I am becoming overwhelmed with the idea of moving. Thanks for your ideas and possible solutions.  I need to read more of you brave people's experiences at moving.  We are retired, I am a native speaker of French..why am I freaking out and panicking??? [/quote]

Blmey Tiger! I wish I was sometimes. There are a lot of times that I'm sure that I only open my mouth to change feet or indeed to try to get the other one in aswell!

Good luck with your trip. I hope that it goes well for you. If you love France as much as we do then no problems!![;-)]