Colossal water bill

BQF

Having completed the purchase of a house in Orne on the 12th of this month, I have my first water bill.  €60 - for one month!  This seems colossal - I have a one bedroom detached cottage, and have only been there for a week.

Is this reasonable?  Is water much more expensive in France?  My first electricity bill was only €25.......

You might find that it is for the standing charge (abonnement) and is only paid once a year.  We are charged 1.34 Euros per cubic meter (different water companies may vary) and over the last 6 months, living here full time, we have been charged 45 Euros (plus standing charge).

Also, sure it's for one month?  Often they only send out one bill a year.  We're near Alençon (but in the Sarthe) and our water is about 1 euro per cubic metre (half for the water, half for the drains).  The bill should show the volume of water and any standing charge separately.  Also, if it relates to a period when the previous occupant was in residence, explain this at the Mairie and they should take the bill and forward it.

Phil

[quote user="Cassis"]Also, sure it's for one month?  Often they only send out one bill a year.  We're near Alençon (but in the Sarthe) and our water is about 1 euro per cubic metre (half for the water, half for the drains).  The bill should show the volume of water and any standing charge separately.  Also, if it relates to a period when the previous occupant was in residence, explain this at the Mairie and they should take the bill and forward it.

Phil
[/quote]

we had the opposite problem, it was too cheap.  Apparently they had not read the meter in a year and it was estimated at the previous occupant's use.  We got them to read it, then, we got an enormous bill.  Water is expensive unfortunately.

Georgina

Our standing charge is near enough 50 euros for a year, and water at

89.5 cents per m3.  Our first bill also included a charge of 25

euros to set up the contract with them....... As with the other

replies, we only get a bill once a year.

Lou

Hi

We have lived in our house for just over two years. We didn't realise but our water bill is divided by two companies, one was supposed to tell the other our usage. They didnt. One company has now taken over the other and noticed we have not paid for 2 years (obviosly we haven't we never had a bill) they have now landed us with a bill for 1200€ and want it all in one go and won't except anything else.

So in our area, water is very expensive

Nina