Tax d'hab & Fonciere

windowman

Could someone tell me when they issue these taxes?  We've owned our house since Feb 2005 and I think at the time we paid the previous owner back for the 2005/2006 bill's.  We only moved into the property in Jan 2006 and have just realised we've not had new bills through!!!!!! Prob our fault, but can anone tell us if they are sent automatically, or is there something we need to do?

Thank-you

Do not worry. These are paid in arrears and will be issued automatically. They are sent out in the second half of the year and are payable on-line via your french bank card or by cheque.Make sure you pay by due date or there are penalties applied for late payment.

You can also pay by cash or cheque at the local Trésor Public named on the bill.

We have been here since Aug 2004.  We received nothing on this score until about a month ago when we got a final demand and 'reminder' threatening to block our bank account as the tax foncière was overdue!

Went hot-foot to the Trésor with a pocket of cash and paid.  Asked what about the Taxe d'habitation and the bloke looked us up on the screen and said nothing was appearing overdue on that score so not to worry, wait till something comes in the post.

What a grand system!

[quote user="Rascalb"]Do not worry. These are paid in arrears and will be issued automatically. They are sent out in the second half of the year and are payable on-line via your french bank card or by cheque.Make sure you pay by due date or there are penalties applied for late payment.[/quote]

Is it possible to pay in monthly installments via direct debit, or does it have to come out in the second half of the year in one lump sum? 

Lump sums.  But as it's paid in arrears you can put the dosh to one side monthly.  I think you can buy savings stamps - just going to have a look at the bill.

Footsteps go into distance ....

Sound of footsteps returning....

No, you can't.

By the way, check if your services ordures menagères (rubbish collection fees) are included or payable separately.  That caught us out last year.

When we were in our local Tresor Public last year I noticed a leaflet encouraging you to pay both taxes by monthly prelevement.

However as Cassis says you will then be paying in advance but if budgeting isn't your forte....................

Benjamin

ha ha - exactly the same happened to us as to Cassis, same panic scenario as we jumped in car and drove like the devil to the mairie to explain that this was first bill we had got and we werent just trying to avoid taxes - they looked totally disinterested !   reminded them yet again that we now live in france, and asked about habitation - shrug of the shoulders - no sign yet - expecting final demand and another threatening letter any day now !   As you say, it's a great system for making sure you check all your bills the day you receive them, cos chances are you will only receive final warning anyway !

drove like the devil to the mairie

The Mairie would be profoundly uninterested as they have nothing at all to do with these bills.

They are issued by the local Hotel Des Impots (An Inland Revenue Equivalent) and are collected by the Tresor Public.

[quote user="BJSLIV"]

I think the bill paperwork is standard for all communes for these two taxes, as it is billed and collected by national agencies.

Try plowing through the text on the back of those huge (physically huge) bills.

[/quote]

Nope.  Mind as I said, we've only had the one and it was a reminder.  The original, if we had ever received it, might have had more info.

You might have thought Londoneye's Mairie would have been more helpful, even though they are not responsible for issuing or receiving payment.  Ours is always ready to help.