house insurance and liability

cassie

Can anyone recommend an insurance company, and the name of the type of policy (plus an idea of the cost) to suit my requirements which are :  buildings insurance ( say, 150,000 euros), plus public liability cover... plus cover for any friends, family and contractors who may work on the conversion/ restoration/ landscaping of the property.

I am currently at the "compromis" stage and believe I should have the insurance in place by the time of signing the "acte"....but how do I take out insurance on a property prior to actually owning it?

I can only state my experiance which was immediately after signing the compromis and getting keys etc, I walked across the road to an insurance agent (this was AXA but I'm sure you can find at least one agent in any fair sized town) and arranged insurance, buildings and contents, on the spot. You could probably go and see them beforehand and sort something out.

I accept that you may have a figure of 150K in mind but I believe the figure insured is worked out on re-building costs given size, location, type and so on.  Contents insurance needs to be realistic, just think of the cost of replacing everything in your house if the worst happened.

Public liability is included in the insurance (well mine was) but since you have specific requirements regarding work on your house you probably need to mention this specifically.

Contractors will of course have their own insurance and should be happy to show you this when you ask for estimates (devis) for work to be done.

You can take over the existing insurance - that will give you plenty of time to see if you like that insurer or to find another.

French estate agents will always recommend a good local insurer, usually one who speaks some English if that is a requirement. Because they get a lot of new business from the estate agents, they will usually make sure they offer clients a good deal (at least to start with [:D] )

We went through these people

http://www.intasure.com/

I contacted them a few weeks before we took over the house , We gave them the date of sale and the  email address of our Notaire ( as we were told that we had to have insurance in place for the day of ownership) we also gave them our credit card details. They told us on the day the sale went through they would email a french copy to the notaire and send us the english copy of the policy plus debit our account. All went through as we were told and we are now on the 3rd year of cover with them.

We covered our place for 200,000 as we were told by them to cover for the cost of rebuilding not the market price and some basic contents cover as we dont have much out there , also for 3rd party cover for guest and workmen ect ..... for this we pay 262.00 a year. Im sure other people can get it cheaper but I like to go some where where I could talk in English as although Im learning my french is still not good enough for any thing as important as this. 

Good luck with your new place hope you it enjoy it as much as we do.........[:)]   

Many household insurance policies don't cover people working in your house, only the policy holder. Ours doesn't. We have to ask workers if they have their own insurance before they start. If they haven't, and have an accident, they could claim from us and we would be in trouble [:(]

Pads - We have recently changed to an english-speaking insurer and we are finding out a few things we didn't know before.

We have our insurance through the bank (Credit Agricole). It costs us about 600 Euro a year and includes 3rd party liability for our Gite and pool. I think you would have to specify additional cover for anyone working on the property as I think they must have their own cover, but not sure about that. We were specifically told by the Notaire to have insurance in place at the signing, there was no problem getting it before owning the property.