A few taxing question

Sharkster

1) Are we liable for tax and social charge on money received through the CSA?

2) We cashed in our endowment early, so do I declare just the interest for my taxes i.e. money paid out - money paid in = interest.  I have all the paperwork which will probably give an exact figure but just in case I wanted to check

3) Do we need to declare UK Child Benefit payments that we received before we left the UK.

4) Do I have declare income from selling my car in the UK

5) Do I declare tax credits - the money that the government paid to my wife under the family tax credit scheme where they paid a proportion on the tax I paid as a credit to my wife.

6) How about declaring money received as gifts?  Is there a limit?

[quote user="Sharkster"]1) Are we liable for tax and social charge on money received through the CSA?
2) We cashed in our endowment early, so do I declare just the interest for my taxes i.e. money paid out - money paid in = interest.  I have all the paperwork which will probably give an exact figure but just in case I wanted to check
3) Do we need to declare UK Child Benefit payments that we received before we left the UK.
4) Do I have declare income from selling my car in the UK
5) Do I declare tax credits - the money that the government paid to my wife under the family tax credit scheme where they paid a proportion on the tax I paid as a credit to my wife.
6) How about declaring money received as gifts?  Is there a limit?
[/quote]

If you are resident in France, then;

1) Yes

2) Maybe - you will need the paperwork anyway

3) No, I don't think so, not if you were living in the UK at the time.

4) No (unless you are/were a car trader)

5) No

6) Yes although there is an allowance, but gifts are very complicated, especially if they come from senior members of your family who have property in France, etc etc.

The best people to ask is your local Hotel des Impots. If you moved to France since the beginning of this year, ask for a tax return in March & speak to them then. They are usually very helpful (unlike HMRC!)