Gift Tax

andyasj

Can anyone tell me if there are any allowances when a gift is from daughter (UK resident) to father (France resident).  I am talking quite a large sum of  50000-70000€.  I believe there is an allowance parent to daughter but does it work the other way?

Cheers

Here is the precise situation:

I and my partner (unmarried) have one grown up daughter.  I intend to retire to France this year but my partner will remain UK resident.  In a year or so she will be in a position to give me about £50000 which is the amicable arrangement we have come to to 'equalise' our positions.

a)   If I am resident in France and receive a gift of say 70000€ I believe I will have to pay a lot of tax.  Is this true?

b)   If true, would it be possible for her to give the money to our daughter (tax free as long as she does not die within 7 years?), and then for our daughter to give the money to me (50000€ allowance?).

Or am I just making it all too complcated and risking double taxation?

Cheers

If you receive a gift in France you will normally pay tax at 60%, subject to various allowances. I don't think a donation from daughter to parent has any allowance.

Why don't you simply enter into a contract or deed of settlement with your partner, before you leave the UK, so that the (later) payment is an obligation, not a gift?