low income in France

french fi fi

I am currently thinking of moving to France permanently but am reviewing my finances at the moment.  Presently I am receiving child tax credits and working tax credits from the inland revenue. Is there any kind of equivalent in France.  I have one child who is 3. I have also read that you cannot get the equivalent of child benefit in France unless you have more children, is this true.  Please help!!??

To answer your questions in order; No and Yes.

I'm afraid to say that, unless you have a job (or are able to start a business), then there is no way that you will be able to survive here. In reality you will not be entitled to any benefits or even medical care for yourself or your child.

Sorry if that is not what you wanted to hear.

I know that child and working tax credits have been in existance since 2003  (looking on the internet)   but were they called something else before that and how long have they been in existance for  ie  since  1960s  to  1990s

I read on a telegraph.co.uk  thread (blame faulty tax credits) that  a single mother with 2 children working  16 hours a week (minimum wage)

will get £487 a week (through tax credits) while a 2 parent family will have to work 116 hours  (minimum wage)  a week to gain the same rewards, the report was from a newspaper  writer so I wonder how accurate the report is

You need to read the FAQ entitled [url=http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1021900/ShowPost.aspx]Important information for those people moving to France[/url].

It outlines the minimum financial resources required in order to be allowed to take up residence here without becoming a burden on the French social security system.

You will also need to budget for private health insurance for your family.

[quote user="french fi fi"]I am currently thinking of moving to France permanently but am reviewing my finances at the moment.  Presently I am receiving child tax credits and working tax credits from the inland revenue. Is there any kind of equivalent in France.  I have one child who is 3. I have also read that you cannot get the equivalent of child benefit in France unless you have more children, is this true.  Please help!!??[/quote]

No benefit for one child only. If this is all you have to survive on in UK, you won't be allowed to stay here without a regular income and health cover. Not being nasty, just realistic from living here many years and knowing what you can and cannot receive even though paying into the system.