Attention Saga Card Holders!

Hibou

My Saga credit card (held since before I left UK) was due to expire on April 30th, but the new card did not arrive.  I phoned Saga to be told that they (or their bank Liverpool Victoria) had pulled out of the credit card market and I would not be receiving a card. There was no prior warning. They advised me to telephone Allied Irish Bank, inferring that they would be taking on the business.  I did so, but guess what, no UK address no credit card. Be warned!!

Hibou

Rather strange that Saga have said that they have pulled out of the Credit Card market as they appear to have introduced a new Saga Platinum credit card and you can even apply online. However regarding eligibility the one question that may be the reason they are now reviewing their car holders is  "Do you have a permanent United Kingdom address and bank account?"

I think you will find that due probably to increased fraud and certain additional protection benefits that many other card companies will follow Saga and refuse to issue or renew cards to non UK addresses.

Baz

Yes, Baz, it does seem that it's the bank(LV) rather than Saga itself  that is pulling out of  credit cards. One would have hoped, probably naively,that as a long standing reliable customer, we would have been automatically passed on to Allied Irish Bank, but not so.  Ah well, back to the drawing board.

Hibou

I have made further enquiries and can now confirm that Saga Visa has been discontinued and will cease at the expiration date of your existing. Sometime before that date Saga will contact you and invite you to join Saga Platinum which will give the same or better terms than the existing card.  Also included as before is no Commission transactions within Visa Europe region. Allied Irish Bank is running the new card on behalf of Saga and you will only be considered if you can answer yes to the following questions.

Eligibility questions

It is indeed LV who have withdrawn from the credit card business. Its  surprising that the original poster didn't receive prior notification.

Each brand seems to be opting for different suppliers, my CSMA card was automatically migrated to a new CSMA Goldfish card, which looks as though it will now be migrating to a CSMA Barclaycard.

I don't know what fate awaits anyone with a National Trust LV card........

Thank you, Baz, for the info. We qualify in every respect except the UK address.  We now have to go cap in hand to our UK bank, Lloyds TSB.  We had their credit card but allowed it to lapse because their terms were not as favourable as Saga. C'est la vie!

Hibou.