Credit Agricole Charente-Perigord

lmc

I keep reading lots of stuff about Credit Agricole, some positive and some negative.

For anybody who is in the Charente Perigord area, CA are going to be making a big push for their English speaking clients. They have understood that we represent a big percentage of the market and that they have maybe not been as good as they could have been in the past.

There will soon be more English advisors (not just English speaking advisors) in the region and a huge effort to provide the kind of banking service that Brits expect.

I am consulting on this project so if anyone has any strong feelings or bright ideas then please feel free to post them and I can pass them on.

Many thanks.

Lisa

I don't think that their problem is only the language bit. We ordered new debit cards from the Sarlat branch 3 weeks ago. The girl said that they would take 1 week and the old cards would be canceled one week after ordering, we wait in anticipation as we are running out of cash while CA have 20000 euros of ours that we can't get at.

I should get around to changing banks when I find the time.

I used to be with C A Loire Atlantique. It was infuriating when I was looking to buy a new car and wanted a couple of devis to compare model costs for insurance that I had to make an appointment to see a conseiller  and was offered a date in a week's time.

Needless to say I walked across the square and into the AXA agents and was given my quotes immediately.

There seems to me to be an underlying trend in many (but not all) French service industries that the customer will do whatever he is told to do irrespective of how inconvenient that may be for him.

That wasn't the only reason that I closed my account but it was certainly a defining moment.

I also had the house and car insured with CA. I wanted to insure both motorbikes with them too, but they don't do bikes! After moving all the insurances to MAAF including the bikes, I now pay less for all of them than I did with CA for just the house and car.

Hi Lisa. Not sure what you mean by "the kind of banking service that Brits expect". We are with our local branch of CA (Charente Perigord) and am happy with my current account, debit card, cheque book, statements - printed and online and direct debits. Credit cards and overdrafts are available should I want them and loans too I suppose - what more could I want?

I am not being (very) flippant. What are the terms of reference for your project - as a matter of interest to a retired banker.

PS Just thought of a requirement. Better layout of the product offer online e.g. types of account and cards - with clear prices

We have been with Credit Agricole Limousine-Perigord (Champagne Mouton branch) since August 2005 and all was fine until last August.  We haven't recieved statements since then and the cheque book ordered in January has never materialized despite numerous requests and complaints in person, by letter and e-mail to the branch and head office.  The manager even took a statement and kept saying he was so sorry but needless to say that was the last we heard.  I asked for Internet banking and that was never set up either.  My french isn't fluent but I am capable of holding a conversation so that wasn't the problem.  Also the account has sufficient funds coming in.

We opened an account with La Poste in March and they are fantastic.  I have left the CAF money going into the CA account which then pays standing orders.  I would like to close the account but need to use up the money first as I think they might be very difficult if I ask to close it.

An English speaking representative might be helpful but I feel the problems are with the whole system and the ethos of the bank not needing to care about the customer.

Graham,

I'm glad you're pleased with the service you're getting and also glad that not ALL the feedback on this thread is going to be negative!!

I'm not sure what you mean by "terms of reference".  This is very much a project in development.  They have realised that the need exists and they are prepared to put the funds into satisfying that need.  As to specifying exactly what the need is, it's up to CA customers (also CA ex-customers and people who considered CA but then went elsewhere) to say.  Your PS, for example, is very helpful.

They are well aware that they have not always got back to people quickly enough and that the customer has often felt neglected.  They are already working on clearer explanations of products and contracts in English, both on and offline.  I know that not everybody needs the English but lots of people do.

They are also open to developing products specifically aimed at the English speaking market - cashback on debit cards for example, buy-to-let mortgages for example (shaky property market notwithstanding).

For many people, the difficulty in using CA branches out of their own area has often been a problem.  They are developing a 'remote banking' system that should remedy this to a large degree.

I should reiterate that I am talking here about CA Charente-Perigord.

Finally, I know that a lot of branches have recently cut down their opening hours and that this has caused inconvenience.  These branches are the ones that had the fewest people actually going in and using the branch so I'm sure you can all understand why it would not be economical to keep them open full time.  The idea is that you can still carry out all transactions such as banking cheques, withdrawing money etc even if the branch is closed.

Many thanks to everybody who has taken the time to reply and all constructive criticism is welcome.

Lisa

Lisa. Thanks for your reply. One other difficulty I have experienced is the removal of cash (in and out) from the tills. Paying in is in an envelope into what can only be described as a letterbox. Sometimes the chute inside is full at the bottom and so one's deposit is not secure. I therefore can't, or rather won't pay in on Mondays when the bank is closed. It would not be rocket science to provide something better - in fact I think some branches have machines for this. I have mentioned it at the branch but they seemed unconcerned.

I also bank with the CA but in the Vienne, my local bank has been very helpful and the staff are really great. My french is passable, not fluent, and I must admit I would probably use more of the bank's services if there were clear english language leaflets.[:$]