Moving To France - P85 and FD5 necessary?

mr ploppy

Just reading the FAQs - it mentions informing hmrc that you're leaving the UK and that you have to submit an FD5 with your first French tax return.  In our case, we left the UK many years ago and submitted our P85 then.  What is the exact purpose of the FD5? Is submitting the FD5 mandatory, or is it only necessary if some UK tax needs to be reclaimed.  I realise these FAQs are UK-focussed - but what if one moves to France from elsewhere in the EU?

An FD5 is not obligatory - and I don't think the FAQs say so - but I may be remembering this incorrectly.  If they do - they shouldn't.  The FD5 is the form used for those whose tax is payable in France, but who previously paid it in the UK.  Unless the FD5 is filled in then they'll continue to pay tax on the same income in both countries.   

The P85 should be completed by all those who leave the UK to take up residence abroad, as far as I can recall.

EDIT No. 2 (I'll get this right eventually!)

The FAQ you refer to is this one:

"Q          If I’m paying tax in France, how do I inform the UK authorities that I have moved, and reclaim the tax I’m now paying in both countries?

A          As soon as you move, you should fill in form P85, which is available to download, hereWhen you submit your first French tax return, you must also fill in form FD5 (available hereand hand this to your Centre des Impôts along with the rest of your forms.  Your local office will then sign this to confirm that you are now paying tax in France, and will forward it to the UK, via Paris.  Eventually (and this can take a little time), the tax office in the UK will refund any overpayment, and remove you from the British tax system (unless, of course, your tax is payable in the UK – see above)."

In fact, as you see, it says you must fill in an FD5 if you pay tax in France and wish to reclaim the tax being paid in both countries.  It does not say that everybody must fill one in.  Phew!  I couldn't quite believe that I'd written this so long ago and that the mistake hadn't been picked up on before now.

[quote user="cooperlola"]

... you must also fill in form FD5 (available here ) ...

[/quote]

Thanks for that.  So, I shouldn't read the "must" as "must", but only in the context of the question i.e. for the purpose of reclaiming tax.  Correct?