Average gross salary in Lot & Garonne

passepartout

Hi there everyone

Have just returned from our home in 47, and hubby is seriously considering packing it all in over here in the Uk and retiring early to 47, lovely, but we have to take into consideration our £££, and has this query if any one can help, does any one know what the average GROSS salary in the area might be, or where could I get this info?

INSEE publishes a lot of demographic information about areas and towns in France. You can find a lot of it, indexed by commune, here: http://www.linternaute.com/ville/

A quick look hasn't come up with an average gross salary as such, but this page shows the average income per household, for 47 and for France as a whole: http://www.linternaute.com/ville/ville/emploi/36639/lot-et-garonne/

Edit - this page might be useful, it shows net salaries rather than gross, and by region rather than department, but it's the nearest to your requirement that I have come up with: http://www.insee.fr/fr/themes/tableau.asp?reg_id=99&ref_id=CMRSEF04124

No idea - if there is a difference then it could be explained by the fact that the link direct to INSEE should, logically, be based on more up to date figures than the 'internautes' data. Or maybe it's because a 'household' can have more than one wage earner?

[quote user="Will"]Or maybe it's because a 'household' can have more than one wage earner?[/quote]That would have the opposite effect, wouldn't it?

One thing that may be a factor is that the "net salary" data is only for people in full-time employment, whereas households may consist of people who are part-time employees, unemployed, retired, etc.  But I'm guessing.

Referring to the definition of "net salary" : it's stated to mean le salaire net (de prélèvements sociaux). Does this mean that it's before income tax?

I think a bit of confusion is creeping in over 'second website' and 'second link' - and yes, I agree, there are many possible explanations of inconsistencies. The second link to the l'internaute site, which I believes merely presents INSEE data in an easier to access way, is specific to the Lot et Garonne dept of the Aquitaine region, whereas the third link, direct to INSEE data is indeed for the whiole region, as I thought I had said - but maybe not clearly enough.

I think the best thing the original poster, and anybody else interested in demographic and economic data, can do is to look at both those sites, and play around with the links, as I am sure all the information you could ever want is in there somewhere; it's just a matter of finding it. And some more clarification on 'nett' and 'gross' wage would be useful if anybody knows.

What I do know is that our tiny commune in Normandy, where Judie is a councillor, does, according to those sites, have one of the lowest average per-household incomes in all of France. Perhaps it's a good thing Judie (and other immobiliers) are selling houses there to the English; we could do with bumping it up a bit in the prosperity stakes [:D]

[quote user="passepartout"]Hi there everyone

Have just returned from our home in 47, and hubby is seriously considering packing it all in over here in the Uk and retiring early to 47, lovely, but we have to take into consideration our £££, and has this query if any one can help, does any one know what the average GROSS salary in the area might be, or where could I get this info?

[/quote]

Hi,

Are you asking so as to get an idea of the sort of income needed to live here, or is your husband hoping to find employment?  If the latter, and if he has a job in the UK, I would strongly advise postponing any move for the time being, at least until the present crisis has worked through. The french are anticipating an increase in unemployment, and this in addition to the fact that it is extremely difficult for immigrants from the UK to find regular work at the best of times.

Unless your husband has some special skills and can be assured, in advance, of a permanent job here, it would be better to ride out the recession in the UK and save towards an eventual move when conditions improve.   

I don't think that looking at other people's averave income will give you any idea at all. Many people have asked on this forum before how much it takes to live on and whether things are more or less expensive than in the UK. You should be able to find some examples by searching.

There are too many variables to generalise. Where you live, what size of house (and consequent taxes), lifestyle, tastes, type of cooking (doing your own, buying prepared food, growing your own), where you shop - one supermarket or buying special offers and going to Aldi/Netto/Lidl, owning a car (petrol/diesel, size of engine), holidays or not, entertainment - the list is endless. I would start by saying that you will need about the same as in the UK as a general guide but others will no doubt disagree!! Just bear in mind that you will have to pay for healthcare, depending on your age (again, all the info. can be found on the forum). Also allow for the exchange rate if your income is in Sterling.

Things have changed a lot too.

When I came over in the early 90s my lifestyle which includes a disproportionate amount of eating and drinking out was much cheaper here than in the UK.

I went back recently for the first time and found that this is no longer so obviously the case.

Other lifetstyles may have undergone similar changes.

I know for example that if you need to earn a living it is much harder for British people here than in tha UK

We find France at least as expensive as the UK and for some things (e.g. meat) it's a lot more expensive.  Not sure if I would live more cheaply if I was retired - being stuck at an office desk for most of the day keeps me busy and stops me shopping!