How long to keep bank statements etc?

Cirrus

I pay my taxes here - how long am I legally obligded to keep documentation such as bank statements to support my tax declarations? I heard from one reliable source (a tax adviser) that the last seven years are required, but from another reliable source (a lawyer) that only the previous five years are required. I note also that EDF bills state that the documents has to be kept for five years. So who is correct?

Is there any requirement for individuals to keep such documents for a specific term or is just for business ?

Obviously one (or possibly of course both [;-)]) of your 'reliable' sources must be wrong so how 'reliable' does that make them then [blink] 

Not that it's particularly relevent but 7 years is the norm for a UK business I think.

[quote user="ErnieY"]

Is there any requirement for individuals to keep such documents for a specific term or is just for business ?

Obviously one (or possibly of course both [;-)]) of your 'reliable' sources must be wrong so how 'reliable' does that make them then [blink] 

Not that it's particularly relevent but 7 years is the norm for a UK business I think.

[/quote]Hi,

According to the Code Civil its 10 yrs. For the tax office its 6 years.

'Dossier familial' says "Factures, récépissés, quittances… Tous ces documents qui semblent sans

valeur servent pourtant de preuve. À ce titre, vous devez les conserver

le temps nécessaire pour vous mettre à l’abri en cas de litige.

It would seem there may be no legal obligation to keep utility bills for 5 years, but they should be kept carefully in case of litigation.  Is this why EDF and others try hard to persuade me to accept paperless billing?  So I can't prove they billed me incorrectly?

Cynical, moi?