Capital Gains Tax - how to declare

minnie

Early in 2008 we sold a house.  The sale was subject to CGT which was collected by the notaire.  He gave us a breakdown of the sale, showing the CGT and said we would need it for our 2008 Tax Form.  Can anyone tell me why would need this information for the tax form if it has already been collected?

[quote]...both capital gains tax and the associated social security contributions are now collected at the time of cession using form 2048-IMM-SD...[/quote]So they've named a tax form after Sunday Driver.  It was bound to happen.

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

No.

If it is your principal home, then there is no capital gains tax liability.

Otherwise, capital gains tax applies to both tax residents and non-tax residents.

[/quote]

Hi,

A non tax resident pays only the 16% CGT ,a resident selling a non-pricipal residence pays CSG of 12.1% in addition to the CGT.

We are tax resident and this was our holiday home before we moved here permanently and bought something more suited to our needs.  We have, quite rightly, paid the CGT via the Notaire in accordance with normal practise.  My only query was if it was necessary to include anything on my 2008 tax return since the CGT has been paid.  I think SD given me the full picture anyway.  Thanks all.

[quote user="minnie"]Early in 2008 we sold a house.  The sale was subject to CGT which was collected by the notaire.  He gave us a breakdown of the sale, showing the CGT and said we would need it for our 2008 Tax Form.  Can anyone tell me why would need this information for the tax form if it has already been collected?[/quote]

Depending on your circumstances you may have to pay an additional 8% for CMU de Basse.

[quote user="gas"]

[quote user="minnie"]Early in 2008 we sold a house.  The sale was subject to CGT which was collected by the notaire.  He gave us a breakdown of the sale, showing the CGT and said we would need it for our 2008 Tax Form.  Can anyone tell me why would need this information for the tax form if it has already been collected?[/quote]

Depending on your circumstances you may have to pay an additional 8% for CMU de Basse.

[/quote]

I don't quite follow - what has capital gains tax got to do with CMU de base?

Try looking at articles L 861-2 , L 380-2 and d 380-4 of the Social security Code. In addition 1V of article 1417 of the general tax code may be of assistance, from memory it rstates that this article covers all means of existance and elements of the process of life, including benefits in kind and income provided by movable and immovable assets which the beneficiary of the the coverage universal has had in any place in france or abroad.

I hope the above is of some assistance, however i imagine since you have queried what i have suggested i must be incorrect and i do apologise if i have misled anyone.

Thanks for the advice.  Whilst I'm not totally unused to researching legal references, now that I'm retired I really don't think I'll bother going through all these articles.  I think Sunday Driver gave a useful and succinct response and the fact remains that we've already paid the Capital Gains Tax anyway.  Thanks again to all contributors.