Retired & totally confused!

splishsplash

Can anyone help please?

I am retired, live permanently in France & filled out my tax return for the first time last May.

The lady at the tax office filled out my UK state pension details on the 2047 form & told me that I didn't need to apply to be taxed in France under the double taxation treaty.

I have now received the 2042 SK form, already filled in with my details & French bank interest, do I put my UK pension in the Pensions, retraites, Rentes box or should I ask for a 2047 form?

Also, will I need to complete the double taxation form that she said I did not need?

Help!

[quote user="splishsplash"]Can anyone help please?

I am retired, live permanently in France & filled out my tax return for the first time last May.

The lady at the tax office filled out my UK state pension details on the 2047 form & told me that I didn't need to apply to be taxed in France under the double taxation treaty.

I have now received the 2042 SK form, already filled in with my details & French bank interest, do I put my UK pension in the Pensions, retraites, Rentes box or should I ask for a 2047 form?

Also, will I need to complete the double taxation form that she said I did not need?

Help!

[/quote]

Hi,

You need to complete 2047 and 2042 putting your state pension in the "pensions,rentes etc...." sec page 1 of 2047, and page 3 sec 1 "pensions rentes etc..." on 2042.

If you are covered (as you should be) by E121 for health , it is advisable to write under the entry "frais de soins à la charge du gouvernment britannique, pension exempt de toute contribution sociale française  - voir E121 " and enclose a copy.(first year only).

If you are still paying tax in the UK on your state pension and/or bank interest etc. you should phone HMRC and explain your situation and ask for the appropriate double-tax forms.

Getting duff info from french tax offices is not unusual.

Thank you so much for a clear & easy explanation.

They didn't send us the 2047 form this year, so I think we will turn up at the tax office again & get her to help us out.

I will also get in touch with the Uk for the other form.

It's a shame really, because if it hadn't been for some interest on the French bank account that we received before we bought our house, we would have been excempt for tax again this year.

C'est la vie!