Permanent Health Insurance

David

One could perhaps argue that a foreign commercial payment for an accident or maladie de travail should be granted the same exemptions as a French state payment, as it replaces the securite sociale payments.

Or does this mean that incapacity benefit, taxable in the UK, should be tax free in France?

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

David

Compensation for accidents de travail and maladies professionelles is exempt from taxation as it is delivered through the social security system.  Compensation through a commercial insurance policy is a different matter and would appear to fall outside the scope of the exemption.

[/quote]

Sorry SD, but I am still confused.  In the above I presume you are referring to the French social security system.

In another thread the following is stated

I have been here 16yrs and have an ill-health and injury pension from the fire service.  You are not required to declare the injury pension in France .(here it is known as a"pension accident du travail" and is exempted by Code General des Impots,art.81-8°).   If you have documentation showing disability of 40% or more ,you can get an extra demi-part on your quotient which will reduce any tax due in France. You will need to have the paperwork officially translated and ensure that the key words--"accident (or maladie) du travail, and more than 40% " are clearly stated.

Unquote.

This is not paid through the French social security system, so I am confused.

My PHI was originally based on a work related injury, so I still do not understand why I have to pay tax in France, but a UK fireman, receiving a UK payment, does not.

I am sure that you are correct, but I do not understand.

I have also been assessed by the French authorities as disabled 50 to 79 percent, but I do not seem to qualify for the extra demi-part on my tax assessment.

Confused,

David

David

It seems to me that you are trying to match up two different scenarios here.

The example you quoted involves a pension which was awarded as a clear result of an industrial injury, no doubt falling within UK industrial injuries legislation.

In your case, you have a commercial insurance contract which pays out a regular sum if you find yourself unable to work, regardless of the reason.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but would the policy also offer you a sum of money in compensation for lack of earnings in the event that you fell down at home and broke your leg? 

The simple answer here is to contact the CDI at Bressuire and obtain their advice on how to proceed. Feel free to PM me if I can be of help.

Hi all,

This now seems to be going round in circles.  I realise that there is legislation which makes a difference, and legislation can be quoted.  But I do not understand the logic of the legislation.  Why the difference when the end result is the same?  Is legislation necessarily correct?  What about fair play?  Why are civil servants treated better than the private sector?  Perhaps I am a rebel or a naive fool, or perhaps I should apply to be a politician.

I think that I must therefore rest with Ernie's post.

David, I don't know the total in's and out's of it but for a start I do think you need to forget any notion of fairness just because you voluntarily paid for your PHI out of taxed income, unfortunately it doesn't work like that !

Unquote.

Thanks for all the input.

David