My favourite time of year

menthe

Spring is here, even officially.

Today is the first really warm day with the sun shining bright and a cool light breeze.  I love the first days of spring when the lizards are coming out and the birds are singing their hearts out.

It's one of those days when the garden is irrisistible and I just have to step out into it, even in the midst of cooking lunch.  I stroll around looking at all the signs of life in the greenery underfoot as well as overhead.

Every year, after the murrier has been trimmed back, OH says I hope they haven't killed the tree.  And I answer irritably why would the tree have been killed, it's never been killed so far has it?

Oh well, that was just a blip and even glorious days of unreasonable hope need to have one small irritant or you'd think something's missing, wouldn't you?

Raining all day here in North Wales but still enjoyed the sight of our spring garden opposite the back door. Fashionable garden magazines have it that Bergenias, daffs and  grape hyacinths are old fashioned and boring but to have pink, yellow and blue flowers bursting into colour at this time of year certainly lifts my spirits.

now hoping for some dry days to get out and join you in trimming things back.

They are so reliable and easy to grow and look after themselves. They grow in shade or full sun.

Not wishing to hijack thread but have to mention that I thought of you last October when I walked the final 112kms of the Camino Frances as I remembered your threads. Did it with 31 others to raise money for local hospice - it was a great experience despite the most awful weather and we raised over £80,000.

!Wow!  80 grand?  I am in total awe.  Yes, Galicia is known for rainy, misty and cold weather.  But, as you say, it is a great experience and you and your friends must have worked very hard for that money.  Bravo!

Don't worry about hijacking any thread.  You could say that October was your favourite time of 2023!

I love it too. A huge magnolia across the road has been resplendent, and my slightly naff pink camellia has more blooms than I have ever seen on it. But my star performer is a viburnum burkwoodii next to it. Its white flowers have the most amazing perfume that you can tune into from halfway down the street. Three weeks of fragrant heaven ahead…

Oh rowland, you have reminded me of something and I absolutely HAVE to tell you this.  Loiseau might be interested too and it's completely off topic for the thread so mods, PLEASE let me ramble on and tell rowland?

Well your post brought memories of that incredible experience of the compostelle even though that was nearly 13 years ago.  As you have said, I was posting and building up my courage to go and a member of the forum gave me a virtual introduction to a friend of his.

This friend then sent me a poem to get me going on my way.  I took the poem with me, it has such wise words and so here it is:

Menthe. Thank you for that.

It did take quite a lot of courage to sign up for the walk especially as I didn’t know anyone in the group, am of advanced years and worried about letting people down. It turned out to be one of the best experiences I have ever been part of despite the biblical rain and the group keeps in touch. You do need to keep on challenging yourself so this year I will be walking Hadrians wall with a friend. OH is happy staying at home and enjoying a bit of peace and quiet.😁

Haven't done Hadrian's wall but I did the Offa's ****.  Started on the sea front in Rhyl then to Conway and so on all the way down to end up in the mud flats under the motorway bridge at Newport!