Taxes

Siptea

[quote user="Siptea"]I posted this in income section and on second thought believe it should go here. Is my working partner entitled to claim me as a dependent in France, as I am not working, thereby getting a tax break?

Thanks

Barbi[/quote]

Hi,

If you mean by partner someone to whom you are neither married or united in a PACS, then for the french taxman you form 2 separate tax "foyers" and have to declare separately-you each are entitled to a single person's tax "allowances" but cannot transfer them.  The only way your partner can claim for you is if you are married or take out a PACS. 

Hello,

We will be married before we move to France, as I want to be EU before living there.

So does that mean that he can then claim me as a dependent and pay less taxes? I don't know what PACS is but we will have a traditional marriage.

Barbi

[quote user="Siptea"]Hello,

We will be married before we move to France, as I want to be EU before living there.

So does that mean that he can then claim me as a dependent and pay less taxes? I don't know what PACS is but we will have a traditional marriage.

Barbi[/quote]

Hi,

The french system is not the same as the UK. As a married couple you will be taxed together as a "foyer fiscal", your combined incomes (including nil for you if appropriate), will receive the equivalent of two sets of allowances (although that's not strictly speaking how it works).So in effect your husband will pay less tax due to your lack of income.

PACS is the french equivalent of a civil partnership, which in France is open to heterosexual couples.