What is a gite........and what are the rules?

When does a "Property available for renting" become a gite?.....is it dependant on the rental time....i.e. if it is available for short ( 1-2 weeks ) does this mean it is a gite?

Are there extra rules for letting out gites and, if so, where can I find out what they are?

We have obtained C. U. to turn out-building into habitable dwelling and would like to be able to rent it out....are there rules about it being necessary to make it suitable for handicapped people (e.g. wide corridors, a downstairs bedroom and w.c. and kitchen)?

Where do we find such information?

Obviously, we need to know the answers before submitting design plans for the Permis de Construire

All helpful comments appreciated

"Are there extra rules for letting out gites and, if so, where can I find out what they are?

We have obtained C. U. to turn out-building into habitable dwelling

and would like to be able to rent it out....are there rules about it

being necessary to make it suitable for handicapped people (e.g. wide

corridors, a downstairs bedroom and w.c. and kitchen)?

Where do we find such information?"

Cassie you could look at the requirements given for Gites de France and Clevacances.

The requirement for  "......
wide

corridors, a downstairs bedroom and w.c. and kitchen?" possibly applies more to hotels than gites which come in all shapes and sizes and as far as accommodation is concerned, seem to have many variations.