Newly receiving a UK pension

mogs

Hi, my OH started receiving his private pension last year, it is a very small amount -- around £1000 pa paid in arrears - and he took the "tax free lump sum" which was a little bit more last year.

He works offshore and we pay all our contributions to the French system but how do we get on with regard to declaring this pension.

We've already received forms from the UK asking us questions about the pension and other income - as I said other income is declared to France - so should we declare this pension to France, and if so where, how on the 2042/2047 forms?

Sorry I know it is a bit complicated so need to find out before the tax date looms. Many thanks

[quote user="mogs"]Hi, my OH started receiving his private pension last year, it is a very small amount -- around £1000 pa paid in arrears - and he took the "tax free lump sum" which was a little bit more last year.

He works offshore and we pay all our contributions to the French system but how do we get on with regard to declaring this pension.

We've already received forms from the UK asking us questions about the pension and other income - as I said other income is declared to France - so should we declare this pension to France, and if so where, how on the 2042/2047 forms?

Sorry I know it is a bit complicated so need to find out before the tax date looms. Many thanks[/quote]

Hi,

If his pension was wholly financed by himself with no input from an employer it should be declared on 2047 page 1 sec 1 "rentes viagères à titre onéreux" and 2042 page 3 sec1 "rentes viagères .....etc" in the box which accords with the date he first drew the pension.

If there was employer payment into the pension it should be declared on 2047 page 1 sec 1 "pensions , retraites , rentes" and 2042 page 3 sec 1 box1AS.

As from 01/01/2011 lump sums are declarable and for over about 6000€ there is a special method of taxing them which reduces the tax due , you would need to talk to the tax office about--but if I were you I'd  do nothing unless questioned by the tax office. It's all new to them and it will probably take some time for them to get geared up.

None of this is taxable in the UK--but have you completed forms P85 and form " France Individual" to get the pension paid gross?--if not, download from the HMRC site.