Lets get DIRTY

Henry100

At last we are now going to get that dirty used oil out of the RIDE-ON Mower,

The very first thing i do is take the key out and put it away from the mower (i have a key press on the wall)

Next with the gloves on and the eye protection on loosen both the battery nuts (if fitted)  take off the earth that' s the one with the - sign  Next remove the other lead the live (red) wire this has the  + SIGN ,

Next remove any holding brackets that may hold the battery into battery compartment , And now you should be able to remove the complete battery, I myself now clean both the battery connection terminals  with wire wool and i use copper grease to help the connections fit smoothly  And not have that white powder froth on them, Now remove the caps keeping your eyes away from the holes in case of a burst of acid gas, Once all the caps are roved  look inside the battery, Your looking to see if the "LEAD PLATES " are covered with the distilled water, ? IF they are not fully covered top up now so they are about 1/2 inch over the plate (your mower makers manual should tell you the info for the battery your machine has fitted) Some batteries you do not need to do this as they are sealed units and are free from this acid check, but mat still need charging up; 

Now get your battery charger and before you plug in to the mains,

connect the two leads (one with the + this is the live one positive  red wire to the + terminal

Next take the  Wire with the - sign black wire this is the earth wire and connect to the - earth terminal

Check that the battery charger is set on the correct charge  reading norm is 6 volt or 12volt you need to know or check the battery what volt you are going to charge, again the manual will tell you what your mower is,

When your satisfied you have selected to correct charge rate ? Plug in the charger to the mains, & Turn the charger on, Now again depending on your charges it may have a dial showing the state of the charge your battery has in it ie low one side of the dial and middle and then full,

Or some battery chargers have a string of lights the norm is the green light id fully charged and anything under that is the same as very low to middle to green, You may have a fast charge select or a slow charge select switch,?  again your battery manual will explain. I myself do have a fast and slow 6volt & 12volt and i now put the charge on slow, as i d not expect to be needing the battery for at least 8 hours, "But i never leave it on over night, when i am not there the battery is in the OFF switch.

The dial reading will show when it is fully charged and you can see (remember eye protection) the distilled water and acid mix bubbling , time to turn the charger off and leave until needed,