paying taxes foncieres

bubbles

Does anyone know if we will be able to pay this by credit or debit card from UK. This would be the best option for us by far.

We have sold our house in France but will be liable for this year's tax fonc (around September time)

We'd really like to close our French bank account but have left it open with a little bit in it just in case we have to write a cheque for the tax fonc.

Thing is, I was hoping to close my French bank account before then. There's not enough in there at the moment anyway and so I would have to use Moneycorp again to top it up.

Would be so much easier to close the French account and just pay the Taxes Foncieres by credit card or debit card (English bank account) when the time comes.

Plus - am having some problems with EDF.

I have already closed our account with them for the house we sold in March. They sent me a cheque for the overpayment together with a closing statement.

Now, they are demanding 51 euros for some reason (equivalent of one of my old monthly payments). I ignored this at first thinking that it was simply one department not being in touch with another one. But now they seem to have passed my "debt" on to a debt collector.

Have written to both EDF and this debt collector, explaining and attaching the final settlement bill. But - am afraid that my French bank account might be impounded or something.

The only reason I kept it open was in case I needed to use it for paying Taxes Foncieres this autumn.

I would keep it open and keep some money in it. I'll tell you why, and that is because if you close it and a prelevement like that comes in, then I have known it happen that the account is reopened and debited for the amount. Whether it should is a mute point, that it has is the point.

Have you called the EDF and asked what on earth is going on. http://bleuciel.edf.com/customer-services/contact-us-56301.html

Also have you checked that they didn't reimburse you too much, you probably have checked, but I thought I'd suggest it anyway.

Good advice idun....

bubbles - you asked how to pay your Taxes Foncieres - I told you how to do it by quite simply using your French bank account. Problem solved!

You can't pay any French taxes on-line using a credit / debit card - unsurprisingly!

Transfer the money into your French bank account (no big deal), pay your bills and your life will be instantly simplified. Then call the EDF English speaking helpline if you don't speak French.

You're just over complicating things and making life difficult for yourself.

Simon :-)

If you really want to close your French bank account, the only other way to pay bills would be if you have friends or family still in France who would be prepared to pay bills on your behalf (with you reimbursing them)

Merci, everyone.

Will keep french bank account open then.

At least the "debt collectors" have replied to my email and are contacting edf to find out why we have been billed after a final settlement bill - and over three months after the sale of the house.

Plenty of time really to sort things out since the taxes foncieres doesn't arrive for another couple of months.