We have just purchased a property in France for our retirement. I am 60 years of age and my wife is 60 in eighteen months time. My wife is in receipt of a pension and I receive a small income from my self-employment in the UK. We understand that we should have our marriage certificate translated into French. Please can anyone advise if we should also have other documents translated such as our Birth certificates and driving licences.

We are purchasing our French property from a Notaire in France. When we receive the Sales Agreement to sign should we have this checked by a Solicitor in the Uk versed in French Law or are we safe dealing directly with a Notaire.

There is no need to have any of your documents translated In the Charente the prefecture/cpam etc  accepts english documents.

Re notaire and sales agreement It is very much up to you to decide whether you feel confident enough dealing with the notaire and understand  exactly what you are buying,whether there are rights of way over the property etc If not then there are many solicitors advertising their services at a price.