buying paint for my house

If you only need lightly coloured emulsion, mix it yourself.  I buy great tubs of white and mix it.  Doesn't work if you want bottle green or dark burgundy for example but the paler colours work fine.  I use the M. Bricolage really cheap stuff in 2.5 litre tubs for walls and ceilings, mat, and pour it into a 10 litre biggy if I need a lot.  On promo it can cost less than £2 a tub.  I was doubtfull too at first as I have enjoyed painting with mucus here, but this was fine.  I buy the acrylic tubes from the artist shop.  Or chuck a small tin of a colour in.

Also cheaper to do the walls white and sponge them with the colour desired . . .

Just make sure that you will have enough mixed up to do the room as there is nothing more annoying than needing another half litre!  Apparently!!

Hi fletch - the casto range of emulsions from Castorama are good to use but colour range is more limited than in the UK (and, of course, as Clara said, tres cher!).

We usually ask friends to bring our (interior) paint over from UK but have used casto emulsions and they are fine.

regards.....helen

Any advice on buying exterior paint in Dept 17? Looking to paint outside shutters and gates but not sure whether English paint would survive the Charente summer weather. Ideally want egg-shell or gloss - is there a recommended French paint that anyone has used.

Also looking to buy some interior louvre shutters for some large windows like the folding American Plantation type - has anyone seen them anywhere on their travels?

Any advice on buying exterior paint in Dept 17? Looking to paint outside shutters and gates but not sure whether English paint would survive the Charente summer weather. Ideally want egg-shell or gloss - is there a recommended French paint that anyone has used.

Also looking to buy some interior louvre shutters for some large windows like the folding American Plantation type - has anyone seen them anywhere on their travels?