Anyone offer an assistance with problems service?

This is probably a longshot but does anyone know of anyone in the Charente region who would offer a project manager type assistance with a roofing job that has already commenced (very small amount of work)  but not being finished. (See my post on one of the other forums under 'disappearing roofer'.) - I'm looking for someone who would basically be able to get our roofer (french registered artisan) to do what he promised to do 3 months ago ie complete the barn roof repairs. Our problem is that its a second home, we only speak very limited french  - not enough to hold a telephone conversation and roofer is not responding to our E Mails.

Hi there,

My commisserations!  We have had a very similar problem with our roof (also in Charente).  Our roofing company took the whole roof off our house, chainsawed up the lovely old beams and dumped them in the backyard and then proceed to ****** off leaving the house totally exposed, no tarpulins or other protection, which has caused damage throughout three floors.  This started february last year and we are STILL in dispute over them fixing the interior damage.  It's held up any other work on the house too, so we are a year behind in the renovations.

We did the registered letter thing as recommended at the time (as I note you have been told to do on your other link) and to be honest it only seemed to make things much worse.  Perhaps your guy will be different.  For us we are at a stalemate and lawyers are now involved, I totally understand your wifes grey hair situation - I felt almost into nervous breakdown territory at one point (what with sick family etc at the time also!).

We have a friend in the area who can handle project management work if you are not too far from Cognac.  If so let me know and I can pass your details on to him.

Best of luck - hope it works out for you!

Tris

Thanks for the replys.

Andrew will reply to your E mail.

Tris - your problem sounds like its been a nightmare. This rather put things into perspective for me - at least our house is sound.  I think ours is a case of roofer having taken on too much work. He doesn't only do roofing but does all other manner of building work (floor tiling, carpentry etc) - so I rather suspect that he has chosen to do some easier indoor work during these winter months. I know hes not doing roofing elsewhere because his roofing gear is in our garden! 

David

Dear person who is having problems with roofer

I have only recently registered with this forum and so have no idea how it works.BUT I live and work in Aigre and know most of the artisans in the region and might be able to help.

I have had a lot of experience with renovations and hopefully it will just involve a full and frank discussion.

Please contact me if you think I can help

Many thanks to everyone who has responded. We have received a reassurance from someone that knows of our roofer that his reputation is good. In terms of the delays just another typical french builder. So, for the moment, we are going to try and be calm about things and wait and see what happens once the weather improves. We do not realistically expect him to work outside on a roof in wind, rain and snow.  Hopefully things will be resolved and the work will restart once the weather improves.  - If the situation is still the same in a couple of months then it is good to know that there are offers of help out there.

David

If this is a second home and you haven't been out here recently, the weather hasn't stopped any of our local roofers from working. My neighbour is currently having her entire roof replaced by a local French artisan !

All the talk around here is of how dry this winter has been, although I must say that we had some very wet days last week.

All the trees around us are budding and a friend of mine has already got daffodils growing in his garden.

The only thing I would say to you is to not give the roofer too much leeway regards the weather, it isn't stopping other roofers.

Jongleur

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let everyone know that our problems have now been resolved and work has recommenced on our roof.

Thanks to everyone who very kindly offered their assistance. I'm glad we didn't need it in this instance but its really nice to know that help and support is at hand if need be.

Dave