Carel course in Royan

Hello,

Just wondered if anyone had been on the intensive French course at Royan as my brother and I are thinking of joining quite soon. There seems to be alot of choice of the level you start at and we are a bit worried about going into a really basic class and wasting our money or doing the same in a diffcult class.

We have also heard there might be some free lessons going in our local town Gemozac? anyone know of this?

Thanks for reading

Charley

Friends have done the Carel course and weren't all that impressed. They gave various reasons, but it could be that they went as a couple and wanted to be taught in the same class although their levels of French were a bit different (which of course is their own fault!). They also said that there were a lot of students from Arabic countries in the class, whose language needs were very different, and consequently these other students got more of the teacher's attention. If you do go ahead, ask Carel if you can "sit in" or observe part of a class to get an idea of whether the teaching style and environment is right for you, and see if you can get an idea from them about the mix of nationalities in the class. I'd also ask them how they assess students beforehand - normally, any good language school or teacher would make you undergo an assessment before starting a course in order to make sure you're put into a group appropriate to your level, rather than leaving you to guess what you think your level should be!

Hope this helps!

Jane

I have also heard that there are free English courses in Gemozac (we are 5k south of there). I can't remember where I picked it up. Have you asked at the library (v helpful people) or Mairie? I forgot when last over. If you find out - let us know!

Pouyade 

[quote]I have also heard that there are free English courses in Gemozac (we are 5k south of there). I can't remember where I picked it up. Have you asked at the library (v helpful people) or Mairie? I forgot...[/quote]

Oh, we're south of Gemozac too.Please keep me informed as well...I think lots of us would be interested in this....

Guest CFrost

Hi Charley, yep, you've guessed it, can we have the info on free french language lessons in gemozac too, (we are too soon to be residents) if you find out

Ta very much in advance

kimberley

soon to be in chadeniers

Re. courses in Gemozac

I think these are mentioned on the website of the local estate agent see www.kaydreamhomes.com.fr/ As others have suggested, it would be worth asking at the library or the Mairie.

Re. courses at Carel

Some friends of mine went there some time ago to ask about French courses, I believe the outcome was that they decided they had reached a certain level and maybe would not gain much (??) so they ended up assisting with the teaching of English courses!

BTW I have heard good reports of the courses that take place in Pons.

Good luck, with whichever course you choose.

Bon courage

Gill (99&17)

(who has not been on any of these courses!)

Hi

My wife and I presently attend a French Course at Pons which is near Gemozac. The one at Gemozac I believe is for people living there whose children attend the school. It is not free but subsidised. A small fee is paid for each peroid of around 10 lessons 2hours each. This is connected to the course which runs at Pons, on a similar basis. If you go to the college at Pons the Greta, and check there for the details. You will have to fill a form which will detemine what level you are at. The beginners course has recently ceased, due to lack of interest. Hope this helps

G.S.

ok,

I went to the library in Gemozac (its hard to ask about French lessons when you dont speak much French!!) and they told me that I might get some joy at the Marie. So I went to the Marie and a lady that could communicate with me said the following...

she did'nt know of any free French courses in Gemozac

told me about the Royan and above mentioned Pon course

and of more interest to us, that they had been thinking about setting up a community course (but its difficult blah blah blah). So I was thinking that if there are enough of us that we could maybe persuade something to happen. I'm not sure how it works.anyone got any ideas?

anyway, thats all I found

Charley

How about joining a different sort of evening / daytime class (other than a specific French language course). A Swedish friend of mine lived in Switzerland for a while and as she spoke no German decided to go to patchwork and quilting classes at a local shop. She said this was great way to learn the language as she was doing something she enjoyed and nobody worried about her mistakes. So I think this would work well if you were to join a local rambling group for example or a choir or perhaps a painting class.

On my next visit I am going to join in with a local "journee de rencontre et d'amitie, ouvertes a toutes les quilteuse," should be fun!

Gill

(apologies for lack of accents, QWERTY keyboard)

Charley

I was proposing patchwork and quilting as an example, not necessarily with you in mind!

As you studied music do you play any instruments, could you join a band or local orchestra perhaps? 

Gill