saintes and st. savignion

Visited Saintes one year and it just so happened we stumbled across a great day out..entertainement, stalls, mock village all in a roman theme with the evening ending in the ampitheatre with mock gladiator fights ect. I believe it was in August and was on sat and sun. Also the town on a river not far  from  St. Jean d'angely...stumbled across a great wine fayre en route to a chateau...tasted so much wine had to abandon the visit to the chateau till the next week,  I believe it was in July!

Exact dates please! So I can tell our guests.

www.le-tilleul.com

• 3 weeks later...
You are right, I'm afraid. A friend of ours arranges all the festivals in Saintes and he told me some time ago that they would not be repeating the Roman Event. It's a shame as we too enjoyed it, particularly the Chariot Racing at the Amphitheatre. As I said his job is to arrange all the events in Saintes, so there will be plenty more festivals to enjoy throughout July & August, I'm just not too sure what the themes will be. When I can find out more will let you know.

I can recall we went to a series of (free) live open air theatre shows a few years ago (the summer of 2000 or 2001 I think) in the Charente area.  One was in the amphitheatre in Saintes (a story of time as I recall) and another being a 'play' called 'Mr Joe'.   Our kids loved them.  I would love to know if  there are any more planned - and /or if they do this is the Dordogne area.  (We are  about 20 minutes east of Perigueux)

Kathie