Lovely places to stay

I am looking for a really special place in the Charentes  to book as a treat for someone. It doesn't have to be a hotel but would need to serve a good evening meal.

Does anyone have any ideas that they would be prepared to share? 

There is a recently renovated XV/XVII century Chateau near St Adjutory (near LaRochefoucauld) that has been done to an exceptionally high standard - French owned and in a beautiful setting - own lake, large grounds etc. Unfortunately, B&B only, but there is a reasonable restaurant in the village and a couple of very good ones in La Rochefoucauld.

My parents and my brother and his partner both stayed there this Christmas and really enjoyed it (not adventurous enough to stay with us in the mobile home!!). They even have a suite with a large copper bath!

Tel No is 0545 704018

Warren

Or get Alistair Sawday's Special Places to Stay book (B&B in France). It covers all of France and has the most fantastic places to stay, ranging from 30 euros a night to 150 euros per night. We never use anything else when we are travelling.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thank you all for these recommendations - they look great.

In the end we booked the Chateau de L'Yeuse near Cognac and it was a success. The room booking was upgraded to a suite; the view of the Charente was perfect; food excellent and the main reception rooms impressive in high 19th century style. It is also well eqquipped for wheelchair users which surprised me a bit.

However I now feel the need to book all of these places you've recommended. I'll start saving.

Thank you again.