Hobby - Sewing - patchwork groups?

Hello everyone
I used to go to a French patchwork sewing group where I used to live. Now that I have moved to the Brossac area, I wondered if anyone knew of any French patchwork sewing groups I could join or indeed if there are any painting groups around too
Thanks
Marmite

Your local Mairie should be able to tell you of such groups - however if the group is 100m outside your commune they may not know.  Have you tried going into a local craft/material/embroidery etc shop and asking them if they know of any groups?  It worked for me!   Ditto for art groups, go to a local art supply shop. 

Chrissie (81)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Marmite

Living nearby I can see that from the link above that there is one just outside Angouleme, about 35 mins from Brossac, so what does this craft involve, it's not something I've ever done, I'm not very 'arty' but would like to take up something.  Can you tell me more about it?

Panda

" so what does this craft involve, it's not something I've ever done, I'm not very 'arty' but would like to take up something.  "

Well in simple terms it is all about cutting up pieces of fabric and stitching them back together again! The aim being to make bed covers, wallhangings, cushions etc..

Lovely exhibition of traditional quilts  in the Charente Maritime at Brouage end of April early May I think. Well worth a visit. Will try and post dates later they may even be given on the France Patchwork website.

Edit

http://www.francepatchwork.com/actualites/quoi%20de%20neuf/brouage2007.html

[quote user="Chrissie"]

Your local Mairie should be able to tell you of such groups - however if the group is 100m outside your commune they may not know.  Have you tried going into a local craft/material/embroidery etc shop and asking them if they know of any groups?  It worked for me!   Ditto for art groups, go to a local art supply shop. 

Chrissie (81)

[/quote]

You have local art supply shops and craft shops?   Cool!   There is an art supply shop in Lunel along the road, but my mother-in-law said it was very expensive compared to the UK.

Someone opened a craft shop down the road last year, and it's already closed down!    Monsieur Bricolage and Leroy Merlin are catching on to the arts-and-crafts thing, but they almost certainly wouldn't know about local patchwork groups.

If your own Mairie doesn't know, just go to another Mairie and ask about what activités their MJC/Foyer des Jeunes runs.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Blanche

I've only just read your message

Thanks for the website, looks good, I have popped it into favorites for later

Sewing is my one of my hobbies and the patchwrok group I used to go to before I moved was excellent. Lovely French ladies, they were very passionate about their creations, they taught me so much that I do some whenever I have time, a good way too relax...

Thanks again

Marmite