Ruins of Civray (I think) castle.

[quote user="Ysatis "]Evening. I have goggled my socks off trying to locate where they are and have had no luck apart from finding two images but they aren't giving me any clues. Does anybody know where they are? Regards.[/quote]

Have you tried Google instead? [:D]

Seriously though, I live not too far from Civray [86] and I haven't heard about any castle there. Castles are usually on high points, for defence, and looking at the IGN map I can't see any "ruines" or similar.

Yes, I've googled that much I do feel a bit goggled!!

Thanks for all your suggestions but it's definately my Civray (86400). I read it on the home page of the tourist website that won't load for some reason as I would have added the link.

I would add the pic's I have found but not sure how to do that.

I'll keep goggling, no googling, or possibly both.

I stand corrected! I have Googled and Goggled for the tourist websites and found one which mentions "the ruins of the fortified castle, from which there are panoramic views of the town" !!  Well, I never!

I have 2 friends who live in the town so I'll email them for details. I'm just curious now!

Yep that's looks like the one.

Thanks Sid, that's kind of you. I'm over next week and was going to ask locally but it's been bugging me that much I haven't been able to contain my curiosity until then.

Web page is working now. Hope it works here.

http://en.tourisme-vienne.com/office-tourisme/14/tourism-office-of-civray

Just in case it's useful to others who maybe able to help.

Ysatis, I now have the location! The nearest road is "la rue du vieux chateau" !! Seems too easy! However, it doesn't appear on any of my maps or the ones I can find online. Actually, the road is shown but it's not named. My friend sent me a scanned map which I've tried to reproduce here.

[IMG]http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt200/nevjames/planCivraychateau.jpg[/IMG]

The remains of the castle are somewhere between numbers 11 and 22 on the plan. You'll see the "rue du vieux chateau" leading onto "boulevard Carnot". Apparently a footpath leads up to the ruins from the "rue" and there is a view of the town. For location, no 21 is the municipal swimming pool by the river Charente.

I'm amazed; I've played for the harmonie in Civray since I came to France and gone into the town every Friday for over 5 years plus played numerous engagements there and never knew about this!

Wow, thank you Sid. This info is great.

I looked at a street map trying to see if there was a road name connected with castle but couldn't see one. I saw Carnot but missed Vieux Chateau. Yes, I know where the pool is.

I'm surprised it's not located in a more elevated place.

I agree. We have had a place near Civray for 6 years and have not really explored the town so I'm going to make a point this trip of doing just that.

Once again, thank you for going to so much trouble to help me.

You are quite right Loiseau.

I've since found this snippet of info:

CHATEAU (vestiges)

Xe et XIe siècles

Route de Ruffec

Le château de Civray est attesté dès 1010-1020 sous le nom de castrum Sivriacum. Constitué sans doute à l'origine d'une simple tour, le château a été construit par les comtes de La Marche qui, d'après le cartulaire de Montazai, ont siégé à Charroux du Xe siècle à 1177. Dressé sur les coteaux peu élevés de la rive gauche de la Charente, le château surveillait un gué de la Charente. Sa situation aux confins du Poitou et de l'Angoumois en faisait un ouvrage avancé de la marche poitevine face au château ou tour d'Aizie en Angoumois.