Getting UK legal advise when buying in France

Are just about to sign our compromis de vente on a property in the Gers. Are considering sending the contract to a UK Solicitors for checking before signing. We are buying through Gers Property Services. Has anyone dealt with them and do you think its advisable to spend the extra money to get a UK company to check over the contract.

Changing the subject totally, is it easy to buy/find nice oak furniture in the Gers and how to prices compare to the UK? (My husband would also like to know if sit-on-lawnmowers are cheapre in France!!)

Many thanks
Claire Baldwin

LAST EDITED ON 28-Mar-04 AT 05:05 PM (GMT)

The process is well regulated here and it may be unnecessary provided you're comfortable you've researched this and know the common pitfalls and the general way that estates work. You basically want to make sure all the clause suspensives (e.g., financing, that the systems are as declared by the owner, that there are no rights of way or other adverse conditions...you can't back out based on roof repair for example) are in there and that it provides for you to get your deposit back should you terminate before the final acte on the basis of one of the conditions not being met. I did mine on my own, but then I researched this extremely well and I also do contracts for a living and that might have been overkill (we signed the third draft of the compromis and some things I had suggested ended up going out the window), though I think the notaire took a couple changes to heart for future use. Many others also do on their own like any other property transaction.

If you want advice professionally, you should be sure that you have the appropriate kind. If you're forking out the money, personally I would prefer a French property lawyer who can speak English, or else a reputable firm located in France with bilingual lawyers specializing in this market as well as your UK estate issues. Otherwise, you might be paying out money and getting the same result as you'd get if you just exercised some reasonable care and read things for yourself.

Happy buying and good luck with the process. Do post the rest of us about how you fare.

Camille

www.maisonquercy.com

LAST EDITED ON 29-Mar-04 AT 09:38 AM (GMT)

As house buying in France is very different from the same process in England, there are just a couple of points you may like to bear in mind:

1. The sales commission is paid by the buyer rather than the seller which means the agence immobilier and/or any house search agency is working for you.

2. Rather than having separate solicitors for buyer and seller as is the case in England, the French notaire is impartial.

So you should have no worries in theory. However in practice things can be missed or misinterpreted so you may prefer the peace of mind of having the compromis de vente checked. This should be done by somebody clearly versed in French property law as only they will know what the compromis *should* contain; such a person is, as Camille says, most likely to be either French, or an English lawyer based in France and qualified in French law.

Will (50)