Golf in 47

Hi Shropshirelass

Have played both Casteljaloux and Barbaste

Enjoyed both but Casteljaloux was quite dry in places but would definitely play again

I believe it was up for sale by the English owners who made a real effort for my son and I when we played there last year

Barbaste - also very enjoyable and the course in better condition than Casteljaloux - again the people were very welcoming

Have you played Villeneuve Golf & Country Club  ( main road from Villeneuve to Bergerac) We thoroughly enjoy this course and have played it a few times now - course is in great condition and has good facilities too

Regards

Lou Whyte

Hi Lou

Thanks so much for the reply, much appreciated.  No I haven't played Villeneuve yet,as it's not really very close to us as we're in Montreal du Gers which is 20 minutes from Nerac and about 30 minutes from Castlejaloux.  We've only bought our house this spring and we're looking forward to playing many courses over the forthcoming years so will certainly put Villeneuve on our list of courses to play.

We have friends with us at the end of this month for an annual 3 day golf tournament and will play Guinlet and Mont de Marsan but I would like to add one other for our 3rd day but because of the time constraints it needs to be relatively close, which is why I've asked about the other two courses .  Would you say that Barbaste would be better to play than Castlejaloux perhaps?

Many thanks for your help.

Kim 

Hi Kim - sorry for not getting back sooner - yes I would definitely say that Barbaste is a better option than Casteljaloux - I think it would be better for your "tour" as well - which , incidentally , is where I'm about to head off for - but in county Clare in Ireland!! I hope the weather is as good over there as it is in France

Hope all goes well

Regards

Lou

PS Am I thinking of the correct Montreal - near to Condom? - if so we holidayed there about 3 years ago - staying almost next to the site of the Roman ruins - a really beautiful place to be.

We are almost completing our renovation about 20 mins from Villeneuve at present and hope to get over a lot more often then - I'll keep you posted with any new golf course discoveries

Lou

Hi Lou

Thanks for the reply.  Lucky you off to golf in Ireland, the courses there are magnificent - must be all that rain!  I will take your advice about Barbaste and make it our third round.  If we go on the Saturday we can combine a visit to the market in Nerac which is a super place to visit. 

Yes it is the Montreal near Condom and yes it is a beautiful village, we are very lucky to have found a house right in the centre so are also well into village life there.

Good luck in Ireland and with the rest of your renovation and yes do keep in touch.

Best wishes,

Kim

• 5 months later...

I have been a member atBarbaste for 4 years and it has been a wonderful old fashioned charming golf club . Just check before you go that all holes are in play as the whole club house and course has recently been sold and undergone terrific changes with lots of building works going on .

Regards

Sue

Hi Sue

Thanks for the email, I was surprised to see the post as it was a long time since the last entry.  We didn't get to play Barbaste in the end but are going to play it this year.  It's interesting that it has been sold, do you think this will be for the good?  Are the new owners going to do lots of work to the actual course as well as the buildings etc?

Kim  Big Smile [:D]

Hi,

The clubhouse is brand new and there are numerous apartments made from the old barns and buildings its now more like a country club . There will be changes made to some holes this year and some holes will be closed some of the time early in the year and in the Autumn so I would check certainly before you go . Its a very pretty course still but we are all a little afraid of what might happen next !

Sue

Yes that's always the problem when someone develops a golf course.  We used to belong to a proprietor owned club here in Shropshire and they started building holiday lodges etc which on top of the large number of societies just made it untenable for members getting tee times etc.  Fingers crossed that this won't happen at your club and that you will just benefit from any improvements.   Actually the club we're in now - Ludlow - is unoficially twinned with Barbaste.  Many years ago they had a couple of reciprocal visits which were a great success.  I only found this out a couple of months ago - it's a small world!

Maybe we'll bump into one another on the course this year.

Best wishes

Kim

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Its all very much up in the air at the moment and all sorts of rumours are flying around . There will be some  quite big changes to the golf course . These have already started to be implemented .

Hopefully some water to the fairways !

Regards Sue