2nd cardholder query

Daft Doctor

I have a credit card account with my French bank and their website offers a second card at a reduced rate if it is 'de même nature que la première'.  I contacted them and asked for a second card on the existing account in the name of my wife.  I made it clear that we didn't want a new credit card account, just a second card on my account.  Result, they opened a new credit card account in my wife's name with a different number.  I contacted them again saying that it wasn't what I wanted, so they simply advised me to close the new account by letter.  Yesterday a new card arrived, with a completely different number to mine, the same number as the account I'd just written to them about asking them to close.

In the UK it was straightforward, and we have two UK credit card accounts for which we both have cards with the same number, expiry date, etc.  Is it different in France?  The bank didn't seem to grasp what I wanted, and I wondered if it is not the way it is done over here.  I don't want to look a fool in the future, so can anyone cast any light or share their own experience?  Many thanks in advance.

Not sure if this would work if you didn't have a joint account that said, as was mentioned 'ou'.

That is how these cards work for us, with a joint current account M ou Mme Idun, pay the full amount for the first card and half price for the second and both have our own names on them and individual numbers.

If you have a current account that says 'et', then I would get that changed, means that neither of you can do anything without the other's say so, which could be very inconvenient.

Also you said a credit card, well they are fairly rare in France, is that what you really asked for? The usual thing to get from your bank is a debit card, these are either Visa or Mastercard.  And in spite of this being a debit card you can still do 'debit differe', which means that they all get added up and debited several weeks later, bit like the credit card system works in the UK if you have it linked to your current account. And yet in France, this is simply a debit card, a little dearer than the simple debit card which debits immediately.

I had no idea that the second card was like that in the UK, so you see you have taught me something there. Still we have never paid for a card of any type in the UK, although I do understand that some companies charge, we have just never used them[:)]. We did nothing but pay in France, although I do know that some cash withdrawal only cards, very simple ones can be obtained for free.

With your debit card though, you still have the equivilent of gold cards etc which cost a lot more than ordinary ones. When we were making a big trip, ie Canada or USA, we would take a gold card, by up grading our card for that year, and then back to the bog standard one.

[quote user="idun"]

If you have a current account that says 'et', then I would get that changed, means that neither of you can do anything without the other's say so, which could be very inconvenient.

[/quote]

I could be wrong but my understanding is that with an 'ou' account should one partner die then the account can still be used but not if it has an 'et'.

Paul

PaulT, that's my understanding too. Not that I think anything is easy or cheap when someone dies. I'm sure that our bank will make quite a substantial charge for something or other when one of us dies. Cannot see a way round it either.