We are preparing to purchase a property in Lauraguel near Limoux.  Can any one give us some advice or insight to the area?  We have fallen in love with this place.  How ever we are very nervous of making the commitment?  Can anyone recommend a Notaire we could use that speaks excellent english.  Our French is non excistant.  Do we require a survey on the property and if so can anyone recommend a professional in this area.

We will be arriving in Limoux on the 21st of February and hope to go sking at Ax Le Therme combining business with pleasure can anyone recommend some where to stay in Ax Le Therme or recommend a web site where we can book on line?

Admin note - moved from 'useful links' section to regional forum as more likely to be seen by those able to answer the specific questions.

Regarding Ax, I think there are some ads in the site www.ax-ski.com. There is also a Pierre Vacance in the town very near the cable car to Bonascre that is ok.

With regard to a notaire, I use a Maitre Duchan in Chalabre who speaks perfect English as he is married to a Swede Tel: 04 6869 20 08.

You can have a survey on the property but very few people do in France it seems.

Gail and Paul, you should try to come to some firm conclusions about the condition of the property as early as possible - just as you would in the UK. Has it been empty, and if so for how long? How old is it, and is it a 'conventional' construction or does it have any design 'oddities'? Will you want to alter it or is it perfectly habitable as it is? Are the plumbing, electrics, and sewerage services in good working order.

If the answers to these questions are not reasonably straight-forward, you should be a little cautious - unless your pockets are well filled. Maybe your Immo can recommend one or two building professionals willing to give you an opinion (in the expectation it may result in some work for them). I remember seeing at least one English speaking architect in Limoux, on the left hand side of main road beyond the centre on the Perpignan side. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...