Accounting for UK bank interest on French return

Daft Doctor

Hi, I have a few UK accounts bearing interest and I'm aware of the need to declare all such interest gross and in euros on my French tax return.  The accounts pay interest on different dates of the month however, and I wondered therefore whether I only needed to declare interest payments actually credited to these accounts in the calendar year, or whether I would also have to add a provision for the interest earned in December but not paid until January.  As an example, say an account pays £100 interest on 15th of each month, does my 2012 french return need to have £50 (euro equivalent) included for interest notionally earned between 16th - 31st December, or is it ok to leave it out as it wasn't actually received until January 15th?  Any help most appreciated, how I am able to deal with the interest may keep me in a lower French tax bracket. [:)]

Not too complicated - it's the date on the notification (e.g. interest statement, dividend statement, bank statement). Most of these won't arrive until after 5 April.

Don't forget to ask for the income to be paid gross in UK. It's tedious to reclaim UK tax.

Thanks Mike, that's reassuring.  As far as getting gross interest in the UK, it seems HMRC/the banks won't consider it until I have submitted my 'France Individual' declaration under the dual tax treaty, which I apparently can't get signed until at least I'm on the point of submitting my first french return as a resident and probably not until I have received the Avis d'Imposition for 2012, which is probably a year away.  Frustrating but there it is!    

As I may have said before DD it may just be worth a shot to see if you can get the France Individual form passed.

Although some of us have had to wait as you describe (and is logical from a French point of view) some people managed to get it through earlier, and that would help you.